Demon NO Go

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well.....where do I start.....:angry7:

Been trying to get the Demon running since Nov 08. Right now it is really living up to it's name "Demon"...LOL

Pulled the trans after finding the engine builder forgot the rear freeze plugs....Encountered and conquered an extremely unusual wiring problem with a new engine harness....Relocated the electric fuel pump 3 times....Brand new water pump is spraying coolant from the bleed hole onto the windshield.......Intake manifold sucking oil and blowing it out the right side exhaust pipe.......:error::error::error::error::error:

OK...enough, but still moving forward....:wav:

New issue and help or ideas please on this: 340-6pk, fresh everything.

Car will not idle unless the throttle plates are open approx 1/8 inch which is causing waaaaay too much fuel to be drawn thru the venturies. Can actually see the gas running down into the intake.

Carb has been removed, disassembled and checked again, but I'm lost at this point :help:

What am I overlooking ?????

Soooooo frustrating :read2:

That fuel ya see running down the throats could be because your fuel pressure is to high and what kind of carbs ya running.

Terry

this maybe a dumb question does it run any bette3r after it warns up if so just what happens when the engine is cold

That fuel ya see running down the throats could be because your fuel pressure is to high and what kind of carbs ya running.

Terry

Original Mopar factory 6-pk carbs.......holley red electric pump which is supposed to be only 7 psi......5/16 fuel line

Also thought that fuel pressure was the issue, so.... filled the carb bowl with fuel...turned the fuel pump off....started it and it did the same thing ?

this maybe a dumb question does it run any bette3r after it warns up if so just what happens when the engine is cold

Thx.....have hardly had a chance to warm it.....Fills the shop up with so many fumes...not really sure.

Is the center carb an original or a reproduction? If it's an old carb, I've seen Holleys leak because of a warped metering block (Is that the right name for it?) or maybe it was the carb body itself that warped. Anyway, the cheap fix was to use two gaskets between the metering block & the carb body. Also, Mopar six packs idle on the outboard carbs too. Make sure you have the mixture screws adjusted out enough. You might have to pop out some nylon or lead plugs in the outboard carb base plates to get at the screws.

Is the center carb an original or a reproduction? If it's an old carb, I've seen Holleys leak because of a warped metering block (Is that the right name for it?) or maybe it was the carb body itself that warped. Anyway, the cheap fix was to use two gaskets between the metering block & the carb body. Also, Mopar six packs idle on the outboard carbs too. Make sure you have the mixture screws adjusted out enough. You might have to pop out some nylon or lead plugs in the outboard carb base plates to get at the screws.

Yes, it's an original carb. Thx for the tip about the double gaskets...Maybe ?

Did not know about the idle on the outboards. Will check that also......:thumbup:

Have you put a vacuum guage on it to see what its doing? Maybe a leak at the manifold somewhere...

I have a simlar problem with my demon when it is cold(8oocfm eddy) and yes the vapors in the shop will make your eyes water and it will not idle but when it gets warmed up the idle is way to high and must be turn down to about 1000rpm it happens when ever it is stsrted cold must let it warn up for about 5 min. you might try letting it warn up and see what happens.

Very well could be! What RPM will it idle at with the throttle plates open 1/8 inch?

I'm guessing about 1500 rpm.....no tach

Also, back to your vacuum gauge suggestion.....where is the best place to connect the gauge and what should the reading be?

have you had let the engine warm up yet when they are cold they have to run rich or the will not run that why stock cars had chokes on ran at a higher rpm and there is heat risers on them I see you are from a warmer area and may not be used to letting car warm up if you do I think your problem will go a way just my ..........02cent

Are you running a PVC line or is it plugged?

have you had let the engine warm up yet when they are cold they have to run rich or the will not run that why stock cars had chokes on ran at a higher rpm and there is heat risers on them I see you are from a warmer area and may not be used to letting car warm up if you do I think your problem will go a way just my ..........02cent

Thanks 340demon.....I think it is more than running rich.....can see raw fuel dumping into the intake. :scratch:

I'm beginning to wish this car would "go away"......JK

hey 6 pk that is just what you should see the gas is comming from the low speed jets of the carb because the carb is opened up and the air flow is high enough again that why when it warms up and you can run at a low speed and the carb closes it goes a way and it is running on the idle settings you can not tune a cold eng.

Original Mopar factory 6-pk carbs.......holley red electric pump which is supposed to be only 7 psi......5/16 fuel line

Also thought that fuel pressure was the issue, so.... filled the carb bowl with fuel...turned the fuel pump off....started it and it did the same thing ?
The first time I started my Dart years ago with a holley red pump and no regulater it overcame the seat and flooded the engine with gas. I put the regulater on and it ran better. Jysnflem

Thanks 340demon.....I think it is more than running rich.....can see raw fuel dumping into the intake. :scratch:

I'm beginning to wish this car would "go away"......JK

Vac reading depends on your motor/cam specs. But what you are looking for is an irregular reading.If the needle bounces around its either a vac leak or jumping time. If I remember correctly the 6 packs primary carb is the center carb correct? Run the guage on a vac port of the center carb,and report back what you find.

Have you set the timing? do you tune your own carbs? Let us know what the timing is set at,and how rich you had to tune the carbs. If it wont idle below 1500 with the throttle plate open 1/8 inch,sounds like you have a leak and you have to run rich to compensate for the extra air running into the engine. Who installed the manifold? Who rebuilt the carbs?

The first time I started my Dart years ago with a holley red pump and no regulater it overcame the seat and flooded the engine with gas. I put the regulater on and it ran better. Jysnflem

I was thinking the same thing.Dont trust the pump,a regulator could be the answer! Instead of having a vac. leak you may have wayyy to much fuel and are having to open the throttle to compensate...

Sounds to me that your power valve in your carb maybe shot,causing a very rich mixture,man and i thought i had problims.keep posting FABO will figure it out.I had a back fire once and the power valve went south dump raw fuel.

Sounds to me that your power valve in your carb maybe shot,causing a very rich mixture,man and i thought i had problims.keep posting FABO will figure it out.I had a back fire once and the power valve went south dump raw fuel.
This is on a 6 pac setup(power valve ??),s

First things first, I think you need to install a pressure guage just upstream of the carbs and verify that you are running no higher that 8psi and I would prefer 7psi. You can buy a cheap holley fuel regulator that has 1 inlet port and 2 outlet ports and install the guage on one of the outlet ports.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925239+4294839053+4294880914+115&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...907784+4294905539+4294782460+115&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...923403+4294906705+4294906672+115&autoview=sku

Terry

Thx Snake, the power valve was new and has been changed for the second time.

I agree with you on the FABO members helping....always a big help when I've asked. I would not be this far without the help I've received over the past year. :heart:

I was thinking the same thing.Dont trust the pump,a regulator could be the answer! Instead of having a vac. leak you may have wayyy to much fuel and are having to open the throttle to compensate...

Will check vacuum first as suggested before hacking the fuel line again to install a regulator.

At this point in time, I wish we had just gone with a 4 barrel carb and mechanical pump..........but in too deep $$ wise ...........:sad7: Need to continue moving forward. :cheers:

-
Back