Demons

-
images (1).jpg

Of all of Ma-Mopar's musclecars, the Demon seems to be the number one victim of losing its originality. So many that you see were turned into racecars back in the day (I had an H-code 340 4-speed Demon myself once that had been tubbed, caged, no inner fenders, etc...) or are now "restored" with a mixed bag of 71/72 parts.

I started looking for a clean 340 Demon again last year but only found overpriced "Heinz 57" cars made up of 72 shells with 71 fender and scoops... or 71 shells wearing 72 fenders and grilles... or later Dart Sport/Duster shells with 71/72 parts grafted on with earlier VIN tags... I would say that a numbers matching, original sheetmetal Demon is the unicorn of Mopardom so if you have one, keep it! They are out there but they're rare, rare, rare.

I have had only 1 demon, a slant Buttercoth car sold in 2008. I agree, they are the quilt car of Mopardom... so man are pieced together of what ever the guy finds that fits. I found one other day and it is typical, missing plenty of parts, turd body, but was an H code car, roller, overpriced, parts would be hard to find and get expensive. I just soon build a better duster if I want a project.

'I would say that a numbers matching, original sheetmetal Demon is the unicorn of Mopardom so if you have one, keep it! They are out there but they're rare, rare, rare.
Dave,
I have a genuine H code 340 71 Dodge Demon in plum crazy here in Australia. So if you reckon they're rare, rare, rare in America what's that make them here down under. Bloody rare that's what. I've had my now for 3 years & haven't seen another H code yet & yes I plan on keeping it for a long time.

24unspecified.jpg

Wasn't it mandatory to convert all imported cars to RHD in Australia? Has that law changed?

I remember reading a Mopar mag back in the 1990's that detailed the importation of a 71 Charger to Australia... whoever was doing the conversion made a whole new dashboard for the car that was a mirror image of the original. Very well done and an insane amount of work!

I personally know these no longer exist. Plus about 8 more I do not have pictures loaded on my computer but have pictures in an album. 1. 0ne winchester 2.One bahama yellow. 3. One yellow. 4. 0ne Red. 5. two bright blue. 6 One white . These were all 340 's I also stripped several /6 and 318's and two Zizzler's.

I do still have the one in the last four pictures inside a trailer that is rust free. It is a 71 4spd.EV2. numbers and title in hand. I kept the body since 1982 to build a race car but never used it. All the Demons that were parted were junk or bought from a salvage yard with no titles. Stripping these Demons I ended up with perfect parts that I still have for this car. Double and tripple. some I will sell most I won't.

xrt3.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

72demon2[1].jpg

steve 254.jpg

steve 257.jpg

steve 256.jpg

DSCF3056.JPG

This was my much-modified 71 340 4-speed Demon:
34484276_10156408241074921_6276659068866134016_n.jpg

And my lesser modified 72 Demon (originally slant-six, added a 360/727/4.10 8 3/4" drivetrain):
34396151_10156408241014921_591654542710407168_n.jpg

It was still a 225 when my wife took the burn-out pic! :D

Not originally supercharged. I found an nos supercharger kit a long time ago.

Wasn't it mandatory to convert all imported cars to RHD in Australia? Has that law changed?

I remember reading a Mopar mag back in the 1990's that detailed the importation of a 71 Charger to Australia... whoever was doing the conversion made a whole new dashboard for the car that was a mirror image of the original. Very well done and an insane amount of work!
Hi Mate,
In Australia, when importing an American car if it's 30 years or older it doesn't have to be converted. In saying that got a mate who's restoring a 71 Plymouth Duster to RHD & using all aussie stuff to do it. Will cost him heaps. Can't really see the sense in it.
Cheers,
Glenn.

Hi Mate,
In Australia, when importing an American car if it's 30 years or older it doesn't have to be converted. In saying that got a mate who's restoring a 71 Plymouth Duster to RHD & using all aussie stuff to do it. Will cost him heaps. Can't really see the sense in it.
Cheers,
Glenn.

Makes sense since that Charger I mentioned would have only been ~20 years old or so at the time of importation. The upside to the Duster is you had the Valiant and Charger to pick parts from since they're so similar. Still, I'd prefer to just leave the cars as-built. We have a considerable number of RHD JDM-spec cars running around Canada that would be ruined if we forced them to convert to LHD.

As an aside, I don't know if it was the Mad Max movies or what but I always looked at Australia as the last land of the free... a non-Nanny State like the rest of the world, but after binge-watching years of MightyCarMods lately and having Marty and Moog explain just how tough the rules are for importing and modifying cars down there, I was completely wrong. You guys have it worse than we do! Nice to know that maybe it's me that's living in the last land of the free! :)

arent you a bit far North for that?

Me being at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, you might actually be further north than I am. I kid, of course, but the climate here is certainly better than that of the mitten state. :D

Last edited:
Me being at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, you might actually be further north than I am. I kid, of course, but the climate here is certainly better than that of the mitten state. :D
That depends on what season we are in...winyer or road construction

-
Back