denso alt. install question?

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
couple of quick questions. in the near future i'm gonna instal this denseo alt. bought the mount kit and pig tail from arengineering. the car already has the crackback amp gauge bypass kit which means it has a wire from the alt. stud to the starter relay stud.

question 1: concerns the 12v reference wire (Blue wire on the plug and marked "S" ). would it be ok to just loop that wire to the charging wire on the alt. instead of running it all the way to the starter relay? seems like it would be the same thing.

question 2: where do you think is the best place to pick up a 12v key powered wire? isn't one of the stock voltage regulator wires 12v key powered? i can't remember. i have a diagram somewhere around here but have to go find the damn thing..

alt. directions.jpg

The blue wire to the alternator is keyed power... Having the wiring from the output stud directly to the starter relay you should be fine just looping the reference wire back to the output.. The reason they suggest the starter relay is because it eliminates resistance effecting the charge voltage output...

not sure i am understanding what you are saying.. explain like i'm a total idiot. which i am..:)

the green wire is 12 switched. blue says 12 reference. so thats constant 12v right?

not sure i am understanding what you are saying.. explain like i'm a total idiot. which i am..:)

the green wire is 12 switched. blue says 12 reference. so thats constant 12v right?
Yes, but with a twist... It's what the voltage regulator uses as it's reference.. So what it really needs is voltage at the battery.. You can read the voltage at the output of the alternator but if there's resistance between the battery & alternator the voltage regulator is now looking at what the alternator is producing not what the battery is seeing... So the battery will wind up undercharged... On the stock wiring the bulkhead connector and the ammeter both are known to add resistance so undercharging is a real concern.. But this car has a added wire from the alternator output directly to the battery so it should be fine...

-
Back