Denso alt wiring

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am planning on installing a denso 130 amp external regulated alternator in my 78 Dodge C-class motorhome witha 440.

Question is did Mopar enhance the bulkhead wiring by then or will I have to do a Mad bypass ?
And are there any other things I should consider ?

Without looking at a wiring diagram, "don't know." If you can get up in there and feel or see (mirror?) the ammeter wires, all you need do is determine if the ammeter is wired with no 10-ish large or no 18-ish small wiring.

There is PART of a truck manual for download over at MyMopar. They show part of the ammeter wiring on page 13 (labeled sheet 11 of 16) it indicates no 10 so "no"

ammetertk.jpg

And then there's this which specifies "without 117A alternator" which you may remember was that GIGANTIC large frame alternator

ammetertk2.jpg

I have the FSM for it but don' t know what to look for .
Del, are you saying if I have a 10 ga or larger feed to the amp meter I should be good ?

And this chassis did not come with the big alt like police cars .

I have the FSM for it but don' t know what to look for .
Del, are you saying if I have a 10 ga or larger feed to the amp meter I should be good ?

No if you have large wire on the ammeter, it's the "same old" as bulkhead/ ammeter problems. If you have very small wire, the ammeter is "external shunt" and the bulkhead feed-through problem does not exist.

After rereading the MAD wiring article it doesnt appear that Chrysler addressed the issue until well into the 80s. So I will do a bypass.
I wonder how the Police cars and taxis handled the big honkin 90 amp alternators? You would think they would have modified the harnessss for them .

I didnt see your last post in time . So small wire I am ok and just wire the Denso alt like my old 60 amp ...

GREAT!! Actually "Ma" started addressing the issue clear back around ??71?? or 72, some of the "big boats" had external shunt ammeters. I believe the 76 A bodies were external shunt as well

-
Back