Denso alternator wiring

-

coro500net

Reaction score
Installing Denso alternator. My question is,do I keep the factory charge wire connected to the alternator? I will be running a separate wire from alternator to starter relay and I’m keeping the amp gauge hooked up. Just didn’t know if there will be two wires on the alternator stud.

You can do that but fuse the new wire or there will be zero protection in case of a dead short in that circuit, blown diode, etc. you also need to tear the bulkhead connector apart and fix issues with it Read the MAD article

Catalog

Also, what year/ model is this? Some "later" years have an engine harness connector which the alternator charge wire and other stuff rus through and they can be troublesome

You can do that but fuse the new wire or there will be zero protection in case of a dead short in that circuit, blown diode, etc. you also need to tear the bulkhead connector apart and fix issues with it Read the MAD article

Catalog

Also, what year/ model is this? Some "later" years have an engine harness connector which the alternator charge wire and other stuff rus through and they can be troublesome
It’s a 69 Valiant. I’m putting the car back together. There is no issue with the bulk connector,just trying to prevent any future issues.
I will be installing a fuse or a link.

That is what I did and put an 80 amp mega fuse in line with the new 6 GA charge wire.

It’s a 69 Valiant. I’m putting the car back together. There is no issue with the bulk connector,just trying to prevent any future issues.
I will be installing a fuse or a link.
Your reply should be, "theres no issues with the bulkhead connector yet". If you dont want there to be, I suggest just as 67dart273 suggested to do the bypass, and convert the ammeter to volts. Plenty of articles on fabo to do that mod. Heres the bypass made simple top pic is what you got, second pic is what you need to do. Pix 3,4,5 ,are my ammeter converted to volts with the sun volt gage i used in pic 6.

amp-ga18.jpg

Screenshot_20200604-112856_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2016-08-04-17-51-51.jpg

Screenshot_2016-08-04-17-01-52.jpg

downloadfile-2 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20190112-091210.png

Last edited:
Your reply should be, "theres no issues with the bulkhead connector yet". If you dont want there to be, I suggest just as 67dart273 suggested to do the bypass, and convert the ammeter to volts. Plenty of articles on fabo to do that mod. Heres the bypass made simple top pic is what you got, second pic is what you need to do. Pix 3,4,5 ,are my ammeter converted to volts with the sun volt gage in pic 6.

View attachment 1715832673

View attachment 1715832674

View attachment 1715832675

View attachment 1715832676

View attachment 1715832677

View attachment 1715832678
Thanks for the info

No problem. When you do the volt gage conversion, just ground the negative stud on the gage to the cluster housing. The positive stud, you ream the hole in the gage bucket a bit bigger, then fit a plastic grommet in its hole and plastic washers as insulators on both sides, then run a jumper wire from the positive stud on the volt gage, to your 12V input going into the cluster. Heres a pic of the back of mine. I since removed the black ground wire since I grounded the negative stud to the gage cluster housing.

I also used 5630 dimmable peel n stick LED light strip for the backlighting. Dirt cheap off evilbay, comes in about 12 different colors. Better than bulbs.

20150905_180146.jpeg

downloadfile.jpg

downloadfile-9.jpg

downloadfile-6.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back