Detail valve covers

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
I just painted my Mopar Hi Performance aluminum valve covers and I want to remove the paint from the top of the fins and lettering on the top of the covers. What is the best method to accomplish this task?
Thanks in advance

I just painted my Mopar Hi Performance aluminum valve covers and I want to remove the paint from the top of the fins and lettering on the top of the covers. What is the best method to accomplish this task?
Thanks in advance
I've done it before with very fine sandpaper(600grit). It will give it a uniform brushed aluminum look. You attach the paper at least as long as the valve cover on a "flat" board or bench and with one even motion drag the valve cover over the paper always going the same direction.

IMG_0772.JPG
I used 220 grit on a block. Just kept the paper very tight and was gentle with my strokes.

it would have been nice to just wipe off the paint when they were wet, now you are sanding

Sanding block with 600 grit sandpaper works well.

If you want the fins shiny remove the sandpaper and wrap a piece of cloth around the sanding block and use aluminum polish.

Cal Custom valve covers.JPG

I started with a flat file to get initial paint off, then progressed through finer grits of emery cloth on a block
20170815_210745.jpg

20170815_210745.jpg

-
Back