Detailing question

-

RedFish

Reaction score
What have you used to clean up the engine bay ?
I'm going to have the engine out briefly late this summer.
I don't want to repaint, just bring back the paint that's there.
Inner fenders, firewall, underside of the hood.

use a good quality degreaser and a pressure washer. The sell good orange degreaser at Home Depot in the area where the power washer detergents are. JMO

I used Meguir's Ultimate Compound (I think that's what it was) and it brought the faded paint in the engine bay back to life! It took several hours of buffing but it looks 10x better and then finished with their spray on wax detailer.

If the engine bay isn't real greasy, I'd use a mixture of Simple Green with water and a sponge along with a soft bristle brush. Maybe an old toothbrush for scrubbing hard to reach areas, crevices, etc.

Follow that with a good wax of your choice....

What have you used to clean up the engine bay ?
I'm going to have the engine out briefly late this summer.
I don't want to repaint, just bring back the paint that's there.
Inner fenders, firewall, underside of the hood.

I have used spray carb cleaner to clean up stubborn stains/buildup- working in small areas with paper towels....

I use a product made by Knight's . It's called Spray9. Won't eat the paint, but removes oil, grease, stains, etc.

Its fairly clean, just dull oxidized original red paint.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Benny, have you ever tried a clay bar?? They're amazing at removing oxidation and overspray and bringing old paint back to life. It's a bit of work but you'll be glad you did it. I like the Mother's Showtime Detailer to keep the paint moist while you work the clay; if I remember right the whole kit was about $10.

Benny, have you ever tried a clay bar?? They're amazing at removing oxidation and overspray and bringing old paint back to life. It's a bit of work but you'll be glad you did it. I like the Mother's Showtime Detailer to keep the paint moist while you work the clay; if I remember right the whole kit was about $10.

thanks

-
Back