Detroit locker

-
Thanks folks. Do the springs create a lot of force on the case? I don't want to get injured, nor do I want parts to scatter.
No. Just be ready for it when you Loosen the bolts and you'll be fine. How big a hurry you in? I rebuild the occasional sure grip for members here. I would be glad to disassemble it for you, inspect it, clean it up and send it back reasonably. You can see the springs in the diagram. You can compress them with your hands. They're not very strong. All they are for is to give the lock plates in the assembly just enough bias to lock after unlocking.

No. Just be ready for it when you Loosen the bolts and you'll be fine. How big a hurry you in? I rebuild the occasional sure grip for members here. I would be glad to disassemble it for you, inspect it, clean it up and send it back reasonably. You can see the springs in the diagram. You can compress them with your hands. They're not very strong. All they are for is to give the lock plates in the assembly just enough bias to lock after unlocking.
I appreciate the offer. I'm retired, and I need something to keep me busy. I really do appreciate it.

FWIW, the Ford 9" with it's 3 pinion bearing design left little room for clutch surface in the Traction-Lok limited slip differential. Because of this Drag Pak cars got the Detroit Locker. While Ford probably didn't want to put the Detroit Locker in street cars, it was the only thing that would hold up.

-
Back