Did anyone else have a CompuCruise?

-

SleepyBear

Reaction score
Hello! I posted some pics of our 1977 Arrow GT earlier today and they included a dashboard photo. My husband installed (aftermarket) a CompuCruise suspended over part of the dash. (He would never butcher his original dashboard.) I think he ordered it from J.C. Whitney catalog. I swear there were 1500 parts to that thing to add all the sensors and wires and magnets all over the car, so he could gather -- ahh! information about his car as he drove around - like temperatures inside and outside, what his gas mileage was, a cruise control, etc. - all being stuff every car today now comes with, but in the late 70's/early 80's, it was actually pretty techy. Below is an ad for it. I'll also attach a closer shot of the CompuCruise in the Arrow's dash.

I would love it hear some comments from someone else who had the patience to install one of those in their car, way back when. Thanks!!

CompuCruise-01s-700x430.jpg

IMG_9599.JPG

I've seen those. If I remember right they had a flow meter you put in the fuel line, and a trigger / magnet setup you glued/ clamped/ hoped onto the drive shaft for speed input. They might have been a little "ahead of their time."

Another add-on that worked quite well was an add on cruise control I think was sold by Dana-Spicer. Same idea......magnet trigger on the drive shaft, you added a vacuum can to run the throttle, but you ordered (for some cars) a replacement turn signal arm so it looked quite factory. I believe most had a clamp on switch that didn't look too bad. We sold a few, as I recall they worked OK

-
Back