Did not realize 3 speeds were avail. in E bodies..............

-
Does anybody know if there was ever an E body with a manual 3 speed on the column (or 4 speed for that matter)? I have never seen or heard of one, but this thread reminded me of an all original 68 Dodge Charger with 318 and 3 speed manual on the column that was on eBay some years back. I never new they offered a manual on the column in those either, and now I am wondering about these.

Does anybody know if there was ever an E body with a manual 3 speed on the column (or 4 speed for that matter)? I have never seen or heard of one, but this thread reminded me of an all original 68 Dodge Charger with 318 and 3 speed manual on the column that was on eBay some years back. I never new they offered a manual on the column in those either, and now I am wondering about these.
I can't say I've seen one, but the parts to build one certainly exist. There was a '74 Charger dragged out of a garage here years back that was a 318 with the bolt-action shifter. It was supposedly the only '74 SE so equipped, but it wasn't unheard of in '71-'74 B-bodies. Those cars are extremely similar in construction to the Challenger/Cuda, with the main steering column difference being the longer "crush can" used on the E-bodies, although the '73-'74 B-bodies also had a rag joint in the shaft due to the rubber-isolated K-member.

Similar almost across the board-

3 speed manual was "standard" on almost everything.

IIRC a 4 speed was around a $25 option but an auto was close to $100.

...and 1971 was the first year you could get a floor shift manual transmission in a small block B body.

Actually all pre-1971 small block B body cars with a manual were column shift.

...and hence no 4 speed small block cars.

Sounds like a cray rule but it is what it is.

I had a 71 Challenger that was a loaded 318 car. It had a 7 1/4 rearend in it from the factory. I jerked that thing outta there so fast it would make your head swim....lol. Swapped in an 8 3/4 and a 727 at the same time.
Yeah, that's the weird thing, I've parted a bunch of 318 70-71 E bodies back when they were cheap & most had the 7 1/4 but for some reason the slanty cars seem to get the 8 3/4.....

I'm beginning to think that when I was younger, and "glanced over" a car, saw a floor stick in there and just assumed it was a 4 speed

Don't you wish you had that car now???
Yes, everything was manual in that car. It only had heat and a/m radio. Also came with the 7 1/4 rear.
It was pretty B-5 White top and white interior.
It was originally ordered by a Lady that worked at USF. I she was supposedly very cost minded. That's why she ordered it with the six and basically no options.

My first charger bought in Phoenix in June 1974 was a 318 with the manual three on the tree. green all around, factory A/C ,P.S. and power brakes.
drove it back to nebraska and ran great!

$400.00 Bucks!

I leaned to shift a Mopar 3sp behind a 6 in a 71 Duster when I was 6. Sat between the parents on the bench (no seat belt!) and I shifted when I was told. Reverse N pattern

is it just me, or does that transmission look a little funny to be in an E body?( no rear mount)
I believe even the three speed needed the rear mount for the shifter, front mount for the B body.
I can't swear to it though. The driver sits further back in an E body, hence the shifter sits back as well.
Are your eyes failing you? Both pictures in post one show the two mounts on the side of the transmission. That should tell you it's an e-body or a 71 to 74 b-body.

Yep had one back in the mid 80's 318 3spd bought from a police auction for $600
72-cuda_45381896674_o.jpg

An auto shop teacher I had back in about 1975 had a 66 or 67 442 that he bought new and maintained perfectly (it was all stock). It was a 3 spd on the floor. We asked him why he didn't get a 4 spd. He said, "Boys, 4th gear cost $100". Turned out the 3 spd was standard and the 4 spd was a $100 option. :)
He was a super nice guy.

An auto shop teacher I had back in about 1975 had a 66 or 67 442 that he bought new and maintained perfectly (it was all stock). It was a 3 spd on the floor. We asked him why he didn't get a 4 spd. He said, "Boys, 4th gear cost $100". Turned out the 3 spd was standard and the 4 spd was a $100 option. :)
He was a super nice guy.
In 64 when the 442 came out the only transmission offered was a 4 speed...
442 = Four Barrel Four Speed & Dual Exhaust
In 65 that changed am Olds offered an automatic....

-
Back