Did vehicles come with titles in 71?

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
I've heard that the bill of sale or registration was used as proof. Now, what if you only had the registration? At the moment I don't have to worry about registering it, since I have dealer plates, but down the line is it necessary to have a title from DMV(ny) in case I want to register down the road? Can't see anything specific on their website

Depends on what state the car is from! Some states before 1985 didn't use tittles, like Ga. Al. to name a couple.

I most certainly have a title for my 68 Barracuda and have had one for every car I have ever owned, oldest being a 65.

If you do not have a title for your car DO NOT spend any money on it until you get your title issue worked out.

Titles were not used in Manitoba and I believe in all of Canada till about 10 years ago. Still no formal permanent document like a title, but registration is tracked to determine ownership. Back of the registration is used as a transfer document should you sell. Makes it pretty interesting to register a vehicle if it has not been registered in years. I've had no problem selling a vehicle to the US with Canadian registration or importing and converting a US title to Canadian registration.

I most certainly have a title for my 68 Barracuda and have had one for every car I have ever owned, oldest being a 65.

If you do not have a title for your car DO NOT spend any money on it until you get your title issue worked out.

Fl. is the same way, have always had tittles on cars. But it is not that big of a deal if the car came from a non titled state. I have bought several cars from Ga. and Al. and was able to get a Fl. tittle, no problem.

NY doesn't title anything before '74. Before that it's a transferable registration. Meaning that if someone can get ahold of your registration and forge your name they now own your car. Keep it safe! They just allowed for copies to be carried in the glove box (not so about three ago and back) as proof of registration. Also, these cars are out of the system after five years. You don't have to "register" it for the road, meaning insurance and plates, but you really should keep up on the registration for proof of ownership. If you want to know why, PM me.

The DMV will handle the registration and proof of ownership end of it. The only thing a shop will handle is the NYSI.

Here's how it works in PA.

All vehicles need titles. Title and registration are two different things. The title provides proof of ownership. Registration is the act of getting a license plate for the car in order to drive it. A car can be titled and not registered, but it cant be the other way around.

PA is very strict. As a matter of fact, in PA, you cant buy a car with a signed title and the owner not present. Both parties have to be present at the time of signing and provide proof of identity. They do this to prevent third party sales, where guy A sells the car to guy B, and signs the title. Guy B then sells the car to guy C, and the sale to guy B doesnt show up in the records. Why do they want to prevent third party sales? Because PA is greedy, and wants to make sure that they dont miss out on the sales tax from guy B. If you buy a car in PA, and the guy who is selling the car is not the same as the name on the title, you are screwed. That even holds true in cases where the original owner has died. In that case, the original owners heirs need to file for a new title in their name before the car is allowed to be sold.

If I buy a car out of state, I always make the seller go to a notary and sign a bill of sale and have it notarized. Then PA will accept it without a lot of hassle, although it can take a while to get a PA title for it.

PA sucks as far as car ownership is concerned.

Sound advice. Until you can prove that you have a legal right to the vehicle, you take a chance of losing it and that doesn't matter which state you live in.

NY doesn't title anything before '74. Before that it's a transferable registration. Meaning that if someone can get ahold of your registration and forge your name they now own your car. Keep it safe! They just allowed for copies to be carried in the glove box (not so about three ago and back) as proof of registration. Also, these cars are out of the system after five years. You don't have to "register" it for the road, meaning insurance and plates, but you really should keep up on the registration for proof of ownership. If you want to know why, PM me.

The DMV will handle the registration and proof of ownership end of it. The only thing a shop will handle is the NYSI.

I can testify that. I bought a 69 Dart last fall and got a "transferrable registration" card that when I went to MVA in MD became a normal title here...

Sound advice. Until you can prove that you have a legal right to the vehicle, you take a chance of losing it and that doesn't matter which state you live in.

And sometimes even when you can prove you own it. Just ask memike. The problems he had with a little '63 Valiant led to him owning Victoria. Every piece of paper you can get with the VIN and your name on it is a good thing.

CT used to grant titles. I had them for all mine but I wasnt driving before '86. Now (wihtin the last 5 years) CT changed so the registration is the proof of ownership. No more titles on cars older than 20 years.

Every piece of paper you can get with the VIN and your name on it is a good thing.

It is up to the jurisdiction of the state(s) involved. The PA thing might seem like state greed, but it protects the seller from someone buying the car, not changing the plates, or getting insurance, and being involved in an accident or a felony. Guess who they'd come looking for?

Amen on paper with the VIN!

I am going through this with the Demon. Purchased in CA, titling in TX. Smartest thing I did was to put the VIN on the "bill of sale" (scribbled on pocket sprial bound table). I have a document from CA (got off the web) that there is no title and that I'm the owner. Now TX wants to see an annual safety inspection certificate (usually thrown away) before it issues a clear title. It's a PITA, but I don't want anyone taking the car away from me because I neglected to properly title it.

Missouri is a title state. If you buy a car from a non title state you have to provide DMV with the bill of sale and the state law sheet stateing the non title issue and have an inspection station do an ID/OD on your purchase. With that you can get a title. You will end up with a title and a registration. The title you keep in safe keeping but you must carry the registration and proof of insurance in the auto at all times. You will be ask to present it if you are pulled over.
Small Block

-
Back