Difference in 10" brake drums

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I bought a 8.75 rear that was supposed to be out of a Challenger. When I got it home, I noticed it had two different 10" wheel drums. The offset is different. Do you match the drum to the backing plate and how - Part numbers? If need be, I'll post some pictures. Thanks

Someone else will chime in more accurate. I have read that there are special bell-shaped drums, like the one on the left. Save it, people crave it. It is "correct". I always figured a regular full-width drum, like the one on the right, should work fine as long as the "snow lip" sits the same place relative to the backing plate. You just have more width for the shoe than required. Seems somebody else figured that and it does work.

it almost looks like one is for a 1.75" wide shoe and the other is for a 2" but that is just a guesstimate since I don't know how wide the drum actually is.

OK guys - the picture of the drum on the far left is the mystical 10 x 1 3/4" sbp drum. The friction surfaces on the middle and far right drums are approx. 2 3/4". They are 4 1/2" lbp with the larger register. Overall width is 3 5/8" for both of the larger drums. Doesn't look like the friction surfaces would be the same but they are. The one on the far right is just a meatier drum.

-
Back