difference in dashes???

-

matts69Dart

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 69 Dart from the ground up and obtained a 71 Valiant 4 door today to be used for parts. I am wondering what the difference is between the dash frame in the valiant and my 69 Swinger. I know the bezels are different, but what else? Thanks, Matt

I am not trying to give you s*%t or be an as* or any thing like that but if you have both cars. Why don't you just look at the two and see for your self? Sorry I am not trying to ofend. Just seams like that is the best way to find out to me.

You know I thought this site was much better than the "other" Mopar site when it came to getting decent answers for logical questions, but I guess Burnt there are ones like you everywhere. Of course I have looked at the dash and can see there appears to be no difference, but before I went to all the trouble to pull the dash out, I was asking about major differences I may not be able to see. And yes Burnt, you are being an a$$. Matt

major difference that may or may not be the case here since both use a standard non-rallye dash (I believe) is the VIN tag. Obviously needs to be swapped. Yes, keys went from dash in 69 to column in your 71. Major difference would be if the dash bezels are not interchangeable (the opening is different)

Grant

the odds that someone here has done the exchange with exact same year models is slim. Some may speak of experience with similar exchanges though.
Like the opening for the ignition switch bezel. Cut it into the 71 dash housing or fill it in the 69 housing. I can even suggest an alternate use for that 69bezel in a 71 model. A standard housing can be cut to rallye instrument panel opening easier than filling a rallye to standard panel opening.
Good luck with the attempt at exchange. We'll try to help you clear any hurdles you confront.
Funny how someone starts with "Please dont take this the wrong way"
but it happens anyway.

Yea, I guess the comment got to me and I did not count to 10. I did not think of the ignition key thing. The dash is in such good shape in the 71 and my 69 dash is a bit hacked up. The car only has 27,000 miles on it and was parked in 93. Someone told the elderly lady who owned it not to put it in her garage as it has a dirt floor. Instead she left it outside with a tarp over it. She only lives about a 1/4 from Hampton Roads harbor, so you can imagine the havoc the salt air played on the car. Terrible thing is the car does not have a single dent or ding in the entire body. Perfect grill, great tailights, great trim, lots of rust in the cowl area and the trunk. Such a shame. Thanks for all feedback. Matt

-
Back