different timing gear and chain?

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I was told by a guy at my local speed shop that because I upgraded to a hyd roller cam, I will need to use a different type of timing gear and chain. I have never heard of this before. Is this true? I was planning on using a new stock style chain and gears. Any thoughts?

He is probably meaning a double roller set, and it's damn good advice.
Most would suggest you get the MP chain tensioner also. :D

I paid right about 60 for my MP chain and sprocket set, and it's a little less than that for the tensioner.

Everybody want's to spend your money for you don't they? :D

He is probably meaning a double roller set, and it's damn good advice.
Most would suggest you get the MP chain tensioner also. :D

I paid right about 60 for my MP chain and sprocket set, and it's a little less than that for the tensioner.

Everybody want's to spend your money for you don't they? :D

Summit sells true double rolller chains for a good price, i went billet and it was only 70...

i grabbed a 1996 6cyl dodge dakota chain tensioner for like 30$ from auto store... i just had to drill one mounting hole

The chain that was in it was a double roller, I planned on using the same type and ya, they love to spend your money

not true. did U ask this guru what he was talking about? U can run any timing set with any cam. all 340s came with a double roller.

not true. did U ask this guru what he was talking about? U can run any timing set with any cam. all 340s came with a double roller.

That is what I thought but wanted to make sure in case he knew something I didn't. I will enlighten this wizard :tool: of the parts counter.

That is what I thought but wanted to make sure in case he knew something I didn't. I will enlighten this wizard :tool: of the parts counter.

Did he know you were running a double roller chain set? If not he was advising you correctly. The reason you need to run something better than stock is the load that's on it with a roller cam. A stock timing set won't generally last long with that kind of load.

So the V6 fits with a drilled hole? Interesting......

Did he know you were running a double roller chain set? If not he was advising you correctly. The reason you need to run something better than stock is the load that's on it with a roller cam. A stock timing set won't generally last long with that kind of load.

Tracy's on it^^^^^... I see a double roller needed,with extra heavier than stock valve spring pressure s.( O.P didn't state what cam,or valve springs in initial post.)

So the V6 fits with a drilled hole? Interesting......

yes, it matches the cam thrust plate, except the bottom right bolt.

:blob:

i really just bought the tensioner because it is a timing chain oiler tab with benefits... and anything that affordably increases reliability is worth it, in my book.

AND resuing your old timing chain really depends on the condition, how much it stretched, how many miles on it, and how much slack it had. most folks tend towards replacement than reuse.

gonna use the timing set that edlebrock sells since cam, heads & intake are all edlebrock. Same price as the mopar set.

-
Back