Dip stick tube install ?

-

AARDUSTER

Reaction score
The motor I've been rebuilding had the orginal dip stick tube removed when I bought the motor. I picked up a chrome tube for a good price. After looking at it and the motor I relised (I think) it is a press fit. Any good way of installing the tube myself? Thanks, I apprciate any help as I've just about got my motor finished and this would finish it.

Dennis

When I installed mine I used a small amount of JB Weld around the base of the tube where it meets up with the block.

I've seen similar threads get really crazy with all kinds of suggestions. And most of them don't actually apply to an engine.:twisted:

Seriously, though, get a long screwdriver with a round shaft about as big around as the inside of the tube. Stick the screwdriver down the tube then gently press the tube into the hole.

Is the motor in or out of the car? I have place a socket over the tube and smacked it with a hammer to seat it in it's hole. Shouldn't be too difficult of a deal.
Small Block

Put the dipstick in the freezer, when you`re ready to install it find a piece of copper tubing that`ll fit snugly over the tube and stop at the flange. Bang it in using the copper tube, slide it off when it`s fully seated.

I've done it using a box end wrench that'll barely slide down the tube and hang on the flange.

Thanks guys. I knew it couldn't be to hard to do and that there would be some cool tricks to get'er done. The motor is on a engine stand and I'll try and post a "completed" engine pic tonight. Thanks once again.

Earlier threads and posts suggest those chrome tubes are a tighter fit. It might be wise to sand the chrome plating off up to the bottom of the stop shoulder.

We took a dipstick tube from something cut a slit in the end and spread it open so it caught the lip and tapped it in with a hammer. My grandpa said dont hit the dipstick you are using because it may mushroom the top if it. I like Johns idea, as well as RedFish...lol never though of taking some chrome off

Tube in the freezer.

Heat up the cover/block area with a propane torch.

Sand off some of the chrome on extension, put anti-sieze on prior to install.

Use a box end wrench, socket other tube to apply force.

Plenty of good suggestions here so far.

If none of those ideas work just grab a 8 pound sledge and whack that crap out of it....

Gotter done. Used just alot of the tips, sanding, freezer, socket/wrench and a just the right amount of hammer. Thanks for all the great help, you guys rock.

-
Back