dipstick tube

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
How do I get the dipstick tube out of my 273 engine? I tried pulling one out of the motor I am rebuilding,and the tube broke off inside the hole. I have another engine with a tube in it, but don't want to break it trying to remove it. Any help would be appreciated.
Dan

It can be knocked out from the inside end. Pulling it out from the top can be done but it aint easy. You'll need to thread the I.D. ( 5/16 I think ) then create a slide hammer. All thread rod heavy piece of tubing, large flat washer and a nut.

your saying to cut some threads on the inside of the tube? It's pretty thin. Does anyone sell a tube to fit my 65 barracuda 273? It is a short tube with a short dipstick...

You can get replacements from Mancini and various other suppliers. To remove the broken part, since you have the engine out already and the pan off, use a long flat ended punch to push out the broken piece. You may have to improvise a punch long enough to get into the hole since not all of the tubes went in the same distance.

Larry

If the pans on and you can't get to the under side. A craftsman medium size phillips screwdriver fits the inside perfect. Push it down inside So not to crush the tube when sqeezing it to pull out with a pliers or visegrips. Turn it back and forth while pulling up. Works for me unless its weak at the crimped on the base. Steve

your saying to cut some threads on the inside of the tube? It's pretty thin. Does anyone sell a tube to fit my 65 barracuda 273? It is a short tube with a short dipstick...

Yeah that method works sometimes. There isn't a deep thread cut so at least1&1/2 inch deep to get a good bite.
And I was thinking the early 273 tube was longer than 67 and later since it should come up through a hole in the correct alternator mount/bracket.

I have put in bundles of those tubes both after market and directly from Chrysler Parts...I have yet to see one with threads on it....... those are press fit, there is no pressure at the tube opening and it is below the oil line , hence the need for a longer dip stick.....put a lil sealer on it ....I used non hardening permatex and gently tapped it in using a small block of wood.....no drips no runs no errors. The chrome one from Mancini looks sweet and fits like a glove

REMOVAL: begin to "wiggle" it back & forth & to & fro ( 360 motion) gently!! eventually it will get lose and you can pull it straight up without an issue.....

Removal of broken piece: Hopefully you have the cover off the engine? if so set it on a firm fixed surface...use a blunt edge punch and begin tapping on it again in a 360 manner tap move tap move tap move like that....remember GENTLE tapping in a circle....wont take long, maybe 10 mins or so and it should tap out....YOU DO NOT want to try to drive it out in 3 hits....that can **** it and it will take you a short lifetime to get it out PLUS you possibly ruin the cover in the process...... PATIENCE is a virtue and a necessity in this case.... for the more difficult ones I have used a propane torch and got the cover a lil bit warm...not glowing red just a lil warm and they almost pop out

my 2 cents

thought about it a second....if the cover is still on the engine ( hopefull NOT makes life a lot more difficult) DO NOT use an easy out!!!! easy outs work by diggin into the insides of the thing you are trying to remove...this puts outward pressure on the tube, thereby jamming it into the hole!!! this is thin material NOT a screw or bolt this action will make your life miserable. In this case you need to make a "special tool" using the removable tip of a pull hammer that is L shaped cut the short part of the L so it just fits inside the tube...should be a relatively tight fit but easy enough to slide up & down INSIDE the tube... stick it down the hole of the tube and feel it hook on the side of the tube...then begin tapping in a 360 rotate tap rotate tap....small pull hammer is all you need and it should come right out....again these are NOT threaded this is a pressfit

looks like the machine shop already got the old piece of tube out...now I just have to get the other tube out of the parts motor and put it in the new motor...Hopefully, I can just gently wiggle it out. The parts motor is still intact and I dont really want to take the pan off...Things get messy when you do that!

I just use a piece of 5/16 steel tubing from the parts house, cut the flare off, tap it in and cut to length with a tubing cutter.

-
Back