Direct Connection Big Block Valve Covers (Rare)?

-

rr4406pak

Reaction score
I have an old set of blue anodized direct connection valve covers. I’m doing a big block build for my Dart and I thought these would be super cool to put on the engine.
I was wondering how rare these things are?
I went to Chryslers at Carlisle and I did not see a single pair of these anywhere.

I was going to paint my set Hemi orange to match my block but if they are really hard to find I might leave them as is.
Can anyone lend any insight?
Thanks.

CC2A8891-397C-478B-BE0E-EFDFC6AABCCD.jpeg

They pop up for sale from time to time from NIB to used. I always liked them for the coolness factor. Me personally would leave those as they are and buy the newer ones to go orange.

I just recently acquired the MP Mopar ones off eBay (and I'm pretty that seller is an FBBO member lol) and I'm beginning to believe those are rarer than the DC ones.

I'd paint them orange and wouldn't think twice.
Cheesy compared to the newer cast aluminum covers

I have an old set of blue anodized direct connection valve covers. I’m doing a big block build for my Dart and I thought these would be super cool to put on the engine.
I was wondering how rare these things are?
I went to Chryslers at Carlisle and I did not see a single pair of these anywhere.

I was going to paint my set Hemi orange to match my block but if they are really hard to find I might leave them as is.
Can anyone lend any insight?
Thanks.

View attachment 1716121447
They're getting hard to find, but since they are stamped aluminum they flex & they are prone to leaking so I wouldn't be to excited about actually running them... I see them more as cool wall art...

I bought them new and had them on my 383 for a decade, then restored it back to stock and put them on the shelf. I hit all the major midwest swap meets and rarely find them for sale. My original set got melted foam all over them in my garage fire, but I am slowly getting them back to good shape. I found a set of NOS ones this year, got a good buy on them. Another buddy found a set of NOS and paid $500 for them. If they are pretty scratched up then go ahead and paint them, if not sell them and find valve covers you like better...my two cents...

What's the best way to clean these? Dawn dish soap/water? Is Nevr-dull ok to use?

They're getting hard to find, but since they are stamped aluminum they flex & they are prone to leaking so I wouldn't be to excited about actually running them... I see them more as cool wall art...
Lol, if ya' look at 'em wrong they get a scratch or ding.
This pair is shelf decor these days.
1690772960359.png

Stamped aluminum seal fine if you use the right gaskets and don’t over tighten them. You have to pay attention when installing, and not tighten them as if they were steel of cast, just thinking you can crank the bolts tighter. I’ve got Moroso gold anodized vc’s and use Mr Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets. Not a drip. YRMV

Hard to come by, and hard to keep scratch free. Biggest downside for me is that there is no way to baffle them.

The Moroso covers also have no baffles. I made some and they are rtv Ultra black sealed/secured in place and have not come undone in 5 years of use. Proper baffles in size and placed as if they were stamped steel covers. It can be done, if willing to improvise.

What do you need baffles for?
They prevent the oil which is being sprayed all over inside from being push out of the breather cap. All factory valve covers have them. Many Mopar Performance valve covers have the ability to install them from baffle kits that include 3 screws and a baffle.

Examples
1690807748823.png

1690808438833.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.
Baffles in valve covers seems like basic functionality. Don’t know why anyone would produce valve covers without them…

I'm skeptical on how long it's going to take to pour a quart of oil through that tiny slot.
You remove it to pour the oil in. Only takes a gentle squeeze and a little wiggle to remove from the cover. Not yanked. You’ll see when you get to installing them. Hit the hole with some sand paper so there’s no sharp edges (if needed)

If they are scratched up (aren't they all, if used?), you can strip em and re-anodize, powder coat as suggested above, or just paint. Paint obviously being the simplest (and cheapest) solution.
I'm running the gold moroso (80s flashback) with a coat of turquoise, cover studs, and homemade load spreaders on all the bolt locations. No leaks.

You remove it to pour the oil in. Only takes a gentle squeeze and a little wiggle to remove from the cover. Not yanked. You’ll see when you get to installing them. Hit the hole with some sand paper so there’s no sharp edges (if needed)
I've already stuck the grommets in the covers and had thought that might be the case.

The ones that they came with were rock hard and not open on the bottom at all but I guess a knife fixes that. I like to never got those out. Couldn't just go to town on them with a big screwdriver like I wanted because I figured I'd end up bending or scratching the covers.

I put baffles in the first set before it became an Modified Production winner back in my valve cover racing days.

20230731_192452.jpg

-
Back