Disc Brake Convertion

-

ramhemi

Reaction score
I want to put disc brakes on the front of my 1970 Dart.I got 1974 upper arms.The confusion is with the spindles.I am planning to use 1979 New Yorker(R Body) spindles.I keep hearing different thinks about if they will work on my car.I know they will work on B and E bodys.Is there any aligment problem or ball joint concern I should know about?

The only way to see if the caliper brackets will fit is to bolt them up. I just installed 73 Duster disc brakes in my 66 Valiant. I put the calipers to the rear side of the spindle, normally it mounts to the front side. You do this because an aftermarket sway bar will hit the brake calipers when mounted to the front. The 73-76 Duster spindles will work from side to side, not effecting the ride. I would use these spindles, then you will also need the upper control arms, they have a different larger balljoint. You will also need lower balljoints from a 73-76 A-body. It is a simple swap! Good luck, Keith.

i can't recall if the 79 ny and 78 cordoba brackets are the same, but i have the 78 cordoba brackets installed on my 73 -76 a body spindles so i could put the 11 3/4" rotors, so if they look like the 73-76 ones but bigger, you're good to go.

The brackets will work. The spindles, maybe. I used the '73 up B body spindles, and I can detect some bump steer. Mind you, my Valiant is lowered and I am running a short and wide tire on the nose. I haven't had time to go back through and check my steering box and idler arm for position yet, so they may be the cause of the twitchiness at freeway speeds. For me, I'm ok with it, I feel that the slightly taller spindle may actually be helping my camber gain in a turn, and it does corner VERY well. Would I all inclusively recommend it to everyone. No, there are the possibilities of potential problems that could range from bump steer to over angling and stressing of the ball joints. If you can find the proper arms and spindles from a donor 73-76 A-body, get it. You'll be rewarded with factory engineering that should lead to years of trouble free service. Short of that, there are several folks out there that make quality tubular upper arms and Master Power Brakes is now back to making reproduction spindles. (So I've heard). Were I not a cheap old fart that had old parts laying around, that would've been the route that I would've taken.
Just my two cents worth. Okay, maybe a buck fifty....

Revhendo

Thanks for all the info guys.I know this subject always sparks controversy.Since the mounts will work,I would just get rotors and calipers for the 79?

-
Back