Discount code raises already-insane shipping costs?

-

NoCar340

The Original Partstitute
Reaction score
There's definitely some tomfoolery happening. As seen on another site this morning:
Anonymous said:
So the last parts I got from [another vendor] I had in the cart at year one, shipping was 28 bucks. I put in the discount code & saved $32, when I hit checkout they raised the shipping to $35. That pissed me off. I closed the window & went looking elsewhere.
Watch the numbers closely, folks. I just tried it and had similar results. Were this a YearOne exclusive part like a wiring harness, that'd generate a phone call on my part. Otherwise, I'd do what he did and just find a different vendor. Speaking of wiring harnesses, they've made many of the more-expensive examples "discount exempt" despite those having extraordinary markup (some more than 100%).

YO apparenty doesn't check this forum anymore, but if by chance they do: Nonsense like this is why you've gone from the 800lb gorilla in the Mopar restoration-parts world to just another cliff-bound lemming. The drain isn't getting bigger, you're just closer to it.

Thanks, I've never had luck with YO. Arrogance, you bet. Even harness' arent exclusive to them anymore, I've seen other vendors sell them.
There's definitely some tomfoolery happening. As seen on another site this morning:

Watch the numbers closely, folks. I just tried it and had similar results. Were this a YearOne exclusive part like a wiring harness, that'd generate a phone call on my part. Otherwise, I'd do what he did and just find a different vendor. Speaking of wiring harnesses, they've made many of the more-expensive examples "discount exempt" despite those having extraordinary markup (some more than 100%).

YO apparenty doesn't check this forum anymore, but if by chance they do: Nonsense like this is why you've gone from the 800lb gorilla in the Mopar restoration-parts world to just another cliff-bound lemming. The drain isn't getting bigger, you're just closer to it.

Thanks, I've never had luck with YO. Arrogance, you bet.
The denial amongst their management is beyond belief. Check out their prices on peformance parts, say AutoMeter gauges. They're stratospheric compared to Jeg's or Summit. Why? "Summit isn't our competitor." I've literally heard that come from the CEO's mouth. Meanwhile, RockAuto is eating their lunch on ACC carpets (among other parts) with the same denial held up as a defense. They literally believe if you're shopping YearOne, you're not shopping anywhere else. That might've been plausible, if not realistic, back in the paper-catalog days, but since the dawn of online shopping it's a preposterous stance.

Anyone who is selling the same thing you sell is your competitor. How they can't grasp that concept is beyond me. The guys in the trenches know this, for the record. It's the middle and upper management that simply don't understand business.

In their defense, experience has shown that their customer service is second to none. The problem is, who wants to pay that much to find out?

Even harness' arent exclusive to them anymore, I've seen other vendors sell them.
The M&H harnesses (Mopar only) are still a YearOne exclusive. Even M&H themselves can't sell them to anyone but YearOne. It's clearly stated on both their website and in their catalog (print and .pdf). YearOne owns all of the connector tooling and has an iron-clad exclusivity contract in place with M&H. Sadly, they're still the best harnesses available.
Every M&H Mopar harness on the market, regardless of vendor either was, or will be, bought through YearOne. This is not true of M&H's date-coded coils or solid-state IVRs, though.

A friend who is a recent departure from YO bought two wiring harnesses from Classic just to not have to buy them from YearOne, even though YO got most of the money. He's that bitter about the way the place is run. He would know; he was there longer than I by a factor of 10.

At Van's and cheaper lol
Dash Wiring Harness 1967 Barracuda
I phoned YO about door panels, as I noticed on the website that the door panels didnt appear to have any holes for window crank and door pull. Guy on phone said "no holes in them so we can keep costs down" VERY arrogantly. Lmao they were more expensive than Legendary. Got Legendary on the phone, right off the bat he have us a great deal on door panels for 67 cuda. Had them in our hands within week-10 days. ANY of these shows promoting YO stuff are obviously getting freebies and/or getting balls licked.
The denial amongst their management is beyond belief. Check out their prices on peformance parts, say AutoMeter gauges. They're stratospheric compared to Jeg's or Summit. Why? "Summit isn't our competitor." I've literally heard that come from the CEO's mouth. Meanwhile, RockAuto is eating their lunch on ACC carpets (among other parts) with the same denial held up as a defense. They literally believe if you're shopping YearOne, you're not shopping anywhere else. That might've been plausible, if not realistic, back in the paper-catalog days, but since the dawn of online shopping it's a preposterous stance.

Anyone who is selling the same thing you sell is your competitor. How they can't grasp that concept is beyond me. The guys in the trenches know this, for the record. It's the middle and upper management that simply don't understand business.

In their defense, experience has shown that their customer service is second to none. The problem is, who wants to pay that much to find out?

The M&H harnesses (Mopar only) are still a YearOne exclusive. Even M&H themselves can't sell them to anyone but YearOne. It's clearly stated on both their website and in their catalog (print and .pdf). YearOne owns all of the connector tooling and has an iron-clad exclusivity contract in place with M&H. Sadly, they're still the best harnesses available.
Every M&H Mopar harness on the market, regardless of vendor either was, or will be, bought through YearOne. This is not true of M&H's date-coded coils or solid-state IVRs, though.

A friend who is a recent departure from YO bought two wiring harnesses from Classic just to not have to buy them from YearOne, even though YO got most of the money. He's that bitter about the way the place is run. He would know; he was there longer than I by a factor of 10.

Nothing will get any cheaper in our world.

Cam me whatever...... but I am old, woreout, fedup and on my last two builds of my lifetime...a Ford and a Merc!:thumbsup: :BangHead: :steering:

At Van's and cheaper lol
I phoned YO about door panels, as I noticed on the website that the door panels didnt appear to have any holes for window crank and door pull. Guy on phone said "no holes in them so we can keep costs down" VERY arrogantly. Lmao they were more expensive than Legendary. Got Legendary on the phone, right off the bat he have us a great deal on door panels for 67 cuda. Had them in our hands within week-10 days. ANY of these shows promoting YO stuff are obviously getting freebies and/or getting balls licked.
Hey Steve, do you know if the Barracuda dash harnesses at Van’s or Classic Industries are made by M&H?

I phoned YO about door panels, as I noticed on the website that the door panels didnt appear to have any holes for window crank and door pull. Guy on phone said "no holes in them so we can keep costs down" VERY arrogantly.
If you want to keep costs down, stop building project cars for SEMA and other events, avoid idiotic projects like the "revival" so-called Bandit Trans Ams (they gifted the first to Burt Reynolds, who sold it almost immediately), and maybe move out of the mostly-empty 500,000-square-foot facility you leased from Sony. That building was never even close to full, but damned if they didn't have an enormous shop to build various idiotic cars.

Oh, that's right... the last part already happened, but not by choice. :p

Hey Steve, do you know if the Barracuda dash harnesses at Van’s or Classic Industries are made by M&H?
Classic's are. They arrive with a YearOne part number and warehouse tag on them.

I'll bet due to dropping Year None sales, that Year None resells them.
If you want to keep costs down, stop building project cars for SEMA and other events, avoid idiotic projects like the "revival" so-called Bandit Trans Ams (they gifted the first to Burt Reynolds, who sold it almost immediately), and maybe move out of the mostly-empty 500,000-square-foot facility you leased from Sony. That building was never even close to full, but damned if they didn't have an enormous shop to build various idiotic cars.

Oh, that's right... the last part already happened, but not by choice. :p

Classic's are. They arrive with a YearOne part number and warehouse tag on them.

YearOne's been reselling to (and buying from) other vendors for decades, especially the M&H harnesses. Remember the Paddock? A restoration-parts place that went by-the-bye in the early 2000s? They were YearOne's biggest customer, to the tune of seven digits annually. Virtually their entire Mopar and GM catalogs were purchased from YearOne. The Paddock was originally exclusively a Mustang place (hence the name).

At Van's and cheaper lol
I cannot disagree about Vans. I've had great deals and service from them. Plus, they have things no other vendor carries.

I cannot disagree about Vans. I've had great deals and service from them. Plus, they have things no other vendor carries.
I use Van's quite a bit. They're geographically close to me and have good customer service. After buying from them a few times, I found out their internet-sales guy and I used to hang out a bit in the late '80s. Great guy and a serious Mopar dude.

I use Van's quite a bit. They're geographically close to me and have good customer service. After buying from them a few times, I found out their internet-sales guy and I used to hang out a bit in the late '80s. Great guy and a serious Mopar dude.
Now that's purdy cool!

Thanks, I've never had luck with YO. Arrogance, you bet. Even harness' arent exclusive to them anymore, I've seen other vendors sell them.
As noted above. Kevin King (YOne) owns the proprietary rights for a lot of M&H harnesses. Classics and Megaparts actually buy from YOne now to resell the M&H harness. M&H is handcuffed from selling direct.

As noted above. Kevin King (YOne) owns the proprietary rights for a lot of M&H harnesses. Classics and Megaparts actually buy from YOne now to resell the M&H harness. M&H is handcuffed from selling direct.
That's a bit of a mis-statement. YearOne owns the rights. While Kevin King is the majority shareholder, he does not single-handedly own YearOne despite his desire for people to think so. There are a couple of entities who hold large pieces of it, one of whom alone has a 20% stake. Those shares were sold prior to/during Kevin buying as much of it as he could from Len Athanasiades when the latter wisely bailed. Kevin likes to take credit for a lot of things Len did, like founding the company, establishing its customer-service policy and record, and turning it into the giant it once was. His role prior to purchase was faithful "yes man" whose loyalty eventually promoted him from go-fer to sales manager, always under Len's thumb. Len was enough of a visionary to start, build, maintain, and bail at the right time.
What Mr. King is responsible for is wages frozen or reduced for nearly 20 years among long-time employees, drastically-reduced market share, extravagant management-team vacations, and foolish spending on projects that don't align with a restoration-parts company (the NOV8TR Camaro, Bandit "reissue", etc.). He's been blaming the economy for their downturn in fortunes since the 2008 economic crisis, despite everyone else recovering.

In fairness to KK, the ridiculous shipping thing is a leftover from the Len days. Len could not understand that warehouse employees are part of the cost of doing business, and Kevin (as always) agreed. So they timed the shipping process, averaged that and the wages of those doing the work, and calculated what percentage of the sale total should be added to the actual shipping. Len also didn't believe Summit/Jeg's were competitors, but then again they weren't selling quarter panels and Rallye wheels back when he had the tiller.

Is there anything that YN offers that isnt available elsewhere? Besides attitude/arrogance? I fingered YN was reselling to other sellers. Probably under pressure from MH.

Hey, I have no hand in the pot. I've bought from Year One since way back when you had to fax in your order in the '80's. Kevin being the majority shareholder makes him the " holder" of any rights as a business position in my books. I actually helped him perfect the correct reproduction oval filter for Ramcharger / Airgrabber hoods in 2017 from OE's I have in hand and for such help actually got ONE free filter. Do I buy anything from them in todays market, not a chance...

I fingered YN was reselling to other sellers. Probably under pressure from MH.
Oh, there's no pressure from M&H whatsoever. Make no mistake; YearOne holds the reins in that relationship. However, M&H is ridiculously busy with their similarly-excellent GM harnesses, on which they make all the money. The Mopar harnesses are icing on the cake, and they're always behind on those because it's not their primary business. It's a perfect situation for M&H, though. They profit nicely and never have to deal with a single customer-service issue. All their Mopar harnesses go to one address, and the folks at that address are responsible for the customer-side nonsense. How nice is that?

To clarify the M&H/YearOne harness situation completely:

M&H did not make any Mopar harnesses until they were approached by YearOne. YO owned the blueprints and the tooling at that time and still does. The wiring's been a YearOne exclusive since the first one was made. As @dadsbee said, M&H is handcuffed on this one. I've read the agreement; it's ironclad.

M&H has never sold a Mopar wiring harness to anyone but YearOne, period. Anyone offering M&H Mopar harnesses, now or in the past, bought it from YO. You might have gotten one elsewhere, but they got it from a warehouse in Georgia, guaranteed.

Hey, I have no hand in the pot. I've bought from Year One since way back when you had to fax in your order in the '80's. Kevin being the majority shareholder makes him the " holder" of any rights as a business position in my books. I actually helped him perfect the correct reproduction oval filter for Ramcharger / Airgrabber hoods in 2017 from OE's I have in hand and for such help actually got ONE free filter. Do I buy anything from them in todays market, not a chance...
I feel like I do, since I was there back when the phone-sales room held 50+ people for two shifts and a couple of guys doing weekday overnights. The phone system would go into overload from 7:30AM until about 2PM on Mondays; customers might be in the queue for 20 minutes or more. I'd walk past a pallet-box of Shaker bubbles (the first-offering ones that were better than no Shaker) and racks of AAR/A12 hoods en route to my desk. It was awesome.
It bothers me to see them making the same mistakes and denials over and over, slowly destroying a company at which I was once proud to work. Call me bitter.

Year One has been doing that crap for at least 20 years, I'm surprised people are just now catching on.

Since the 80s the only thing I would ever buy from YO was a part I had to have and no one else had it. In other words very very very FEW!

I got a ton of use from my first Year One catalog ordered in 1992. It was full of Exploded View diagrams that greatly assisted me, then a first time restorer, in figuring out where things went. By the time I discovered the coupon tucked into the pages it was expired. I can't recall ever buying anything from them though.

-
Back