disk brake parts

-

dartley

Reaction score
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've had the disk brake conversion done to my '72 Duster (front disks that is). The conversion is of the "Mopar Action" guide, using all Mopar parts ('75 up upper control arms and spindles / rotors, calipers), no GM or Viper parts and such that are common now a days.

Need to replace my calipers and soft lines. Went to the local place and got the rebuilt calipers, and new soft lines. But when I opened the box for the soft lines, I noted that they are "made in China". This gave me pause. I've spoken with two mechanics since purchasing them and they both said that they use "made in China" brake parts and they seem okay for the most part. It's that "for the most part" that unnerves me.

What would you folks do? Thanks in advance.

The only real way to find out if the parts are worth crap is to bolt them on and try them. I take the attitude that anything I get anymore is Hecho en Chin and when I find something that isn't, it's a pleasant surprise. Besides, who's to say that the USA plant that made your part isn't staffed by crack and or meth heads? Been my experience that if you buy parts that are in the middle to higher end of the price spectrum, the quality is there regardless of where it's made.

Thanks for the reply. But I am frankly surprised that more have not weighed in on this. ;-)

Everything is made in China now, if not it is assembled here from stuff that came from China. I wouldn't be scared to run those lines. If you really get to looking hard at everything that you have replaced on your car over the years you may be surprised to see what is from China. I think is all has to as good as stock stuff. You also get what you pay for so is you want really good stuff go with braided steel lines. I did and can really tell a difference in the pedal.

Checked out another set of lines I found in Advance Auto parts. They are manufactured by Dorman (an old name to be sure), come in a Dorman container (clear plastic bag), marked Dorman, but state "made in Tiawan".

So! ... is there a stainless braided option in case I want to go that route? IOW - anyone running stainless lines on the front that are of correct fitment/direct replacements of factory standard lines? If so, where are these made do you know? Thx

Guess I am fixing to find out, need some rear lines,going to O'reilly's...will chk out what they carry...

Regardless of what brand I get Bendix or Raybestos, most of the items are made in China, Tawain, Etc....

I have had a few bad items here and there, but they were obviously defective before the install. I have had american made rotors that were so warped out of the box that they couldn't even be cut back into spec on runout.

Checked out another set of lines I found in Advance Auto parts. They are manufactured by Dorman (an old name to be sure), come in a Dorman container (clear plastic bag), marked Dorman, but state "made in Tiawan".

So! ... is there a stainless braided option in case I want to go that route? IOW - anyone running stainless lines on the front that are of correct fitment/direct replacements of factory standard lines? If so, where are these made do you know? Thx

I use braided lines. Been on my car since 1993 and about 50K miles. They are made in US. It's not too much more for them. About $60? for a set allready made up.

You need to specify if your calipers are front or rear mounted.

Braided lines on my Cuda. I made them. I dont think there is much savings in that and I had made braided lines before. I think someone makes these in the correct length. Banjo on one end and AN on the other. Then an AN to traditional flare conversion that is made to snap into your body mount.

a4_6_07CudaAlignment0114.JPG

Here's a rubber style on my 68 Dart with rear mount pin type caliper on my with wide style 67-72 front sway bar.

RubberBanjoBrakeHose.JPG

You might try Inline Tube or The Right Stuff;

http://inlinetube.com/

The Right Stuff shows front flex & braided stainless hoses for Mopars A-bodies;
www.getdiscbrakes.com

FWIW: The great plus about your local parts store is to be able to see the part before you buy (if it's in stock) and I guess it is great to support a local stire that hires local folks.

John :read2:

You might try Inline Tube or The Right Stuff;

http://inlinetube.com/

The Right Stuff shows front flex & braided stainless hoses for Mopars A-bodies;
www.getdiscbrakes.com

FWIW: The great plus about your local parts store is to be able to see the part before you buy (if it's in stock) and I guess it is great to support a local stire that hires local folks.

John :read2:

I agree. And it's really nice to inspect the caliper surface around the hose where the copper washer mate and seal. Sometimes those are heavily blasted, pitted, damaged and will not make a good banjo end seal.

Here's a picture of the braided line to standard flare connection on my 68 Barracuda with rear mounted calipers.

ucacamadj.JPG

I dont know the answer for sure but I always try to buy american & as sad as it seems if I can't I atleast try NOT to by China. I know that there is some brake hoses on Ebay for my 67 cougar that are made in south america & they list them as not DOT aproved!!! They are cheap but stoping is fairly important!!!

I agree. And it's really nice to inspect the caliper surface around the hose where the copper washer mate and seal. Sometimes those are heavily blasted, pitted, damaged and will not make a good banjo end seal.

Thanks but neither of these distributors carry either rubber or braided hoses for the 73 and up single piston disk brakes.

The only place that does apparently (O/T the regular shops already mentioned multiple times in this topic) is Master-Power-brakes. I called them on the phone and asked them where their parts are made and was told that they try to get as much of the stuff as they can from made-in-the-US distributors. I couldn't get any more specifics as to what is made here or thought to be made here or made by a US firm that contracts offshore or not made here. My guess would be that all the soft lines now come from China.

If anyone can prove that wrong I would really be glad to hear it.

Update for what it's worth to you all:

Called NAPA - man checked and said brake hoses: Made in China.
Emailed Raybestos - email back: "most of current product line made in China.

In progress with person from Pureline - they custom make braided brake soft lines. Let you all know what the outcome is.

-
Back