Distributer cap

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
Years ago I had a distributer cap on my 340 where the four cyliders of the left side came of the left side of the cap, same for right. looked pretty cool with no crossed wires at the dist cap.

I beleive it was called a crossfire cap. Anyone heard of these or using them?

Right idea, just a little........................crude!

I think we had one of those on an old international tractor we had.

that's the one, doesn't look like they make it for my distributor though. Ford and Chev only............$hity

Looks is not everything. Caps like that are prone to failure in the insulation. They also fool mechanics. Wires that follow the same parallel path couple signals. There is information in factory manuals about correct wire paths, with attention to cylinders 5 and 7. It is best to keep wires apart, and cross only once at 90 degrees.

It is a detail, many get by and will say bs, others may forever have a miss.

Looks is not everything. Caps like that are prone to failure in the insulation. They also fool mechanics. Wires that follow the same parallel path couple signals. There is information in factory manuals about correct wire paths, with attention to cylinders 5 and 7. It is best to keep wires apart, and cross only once at 90 degrees.

Yes, I've thought and heard of that. I could switch over to the HEI distributer but I havent reserched them to see how people like them and perform. Not sure if the HEI will even fit!

X2. I was trying to think of an eloquent way to put this, but things like distributors are there because they have a job to do, not because they are attractive.

There's often a good reason why some of the more offbeat ignition system ideas never "got big."

as all ways my friends on this site have great ideas. i have found that chrysler caps have a vent hole between the center tower and the out board towers. i finally started plunging the vent, with JB weld. and my troubles went a way. the mod keeps moisture out of the cap. been doing it for over 5 years, it seams it have no bad effects.

keep the MSD or go back to stock.
Don't stray from proven tech. Caps seem simple but can make a difference
I bought a bunch of th heavy duty ribbed caps long ago for fear they would go NS1

-
Back