Distribution/Combination/Safety Switch Block

-

billkrz

Reaction score
I need some clarification/opinions on the distribution/combination/safety switch block. I have a 1968 Dart with original power drum brakes. The car was swapped to B/E pin type discs and 11" rear drums, still with power booster.
According to the 1968 parts book, the brake distribution block(where all of the brake lines are attached with the safety switch) is the same for all drum brake cars and for cars with front disc brakes. If you had discs in 1968, there was also an inline "delay' valve plumbed in the rear brake line.
I'm still sorting out my brake issues and it has been recommended that I needed to change the distribution valve as my new discs are 2 pot instead of the 4 pot 1968 style and that there is more fluid needed for the 2 pot style.
I called Inline Tube and talked to Tech Support. They said that there is no difference in the distribution block from 1967-1974. If you had the earlier cars, you just added the "delay" valve in the rear line. For the later cars, the delay valve was mounted on a bracket with the distribution block(instead of plumbed separately). Supposedly they are "expert" in this.
OK, now I'm confused.
I'm open to thoughts/suggestions as well as vendor recommendations.
Thanks,
Bill

For the sake of people searching Google for this part (like I did) they can be found at InlineTube.

http://inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/pro_valves.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for Mopar parts.

Here's the one I needed for my 67 A-Body.

http://inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/BLK245.htm

Hope this helps somebody :)

Valve Notes:

For use on 1967-74 A-body Mopar with either disc or drum brakes. If your Mopar had drum brakes you had the valve to the right and maybe the texas shaped rear hold off valve. Some Mopar's had the texas shaped valve and the distribution combine into one valve so your car may only have one valve or the two separate pieces, see BLK250 for the one piece valve.

This is the distribution block that is mounted below the master cylinder which feeds fluid to all four wheels.

Your info coincides with past posts. Search and you can find photos of the 2 parts (like post just before yours). I thought front disk brakes started in 1965 or earlier, not 1967 like inlinetube states. "Delay valve" sounds mis-leading since I think that function is now termed "proportioning valve". My understanding is that it decreases pressure to the rear wheel cylinders, not a timing effect.

If you don't want to be factory correct, you can get an adjustable proportioning valve for $28 (Jegs, ebay). However, I wouldn't mount it down low in the mud like the fixed factory prop valve. Smart you are adding one, since otherwise your rears can lock up first and spin you out on a turn. An adjustable one lets you dial it in for your situation (tires, engine, ...) using a wet parking lot or gravel lot and observer as you skid the tires. You want the fronts to skid first.

-
Back