Distributor O ring/ gasket part #

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Looks like I may have an oil leak around my distributor . I have a 1966 273 block, and a MP electronic distributor. The distributor has the groove for the O ring (which I'm using). Is this right ( I sure would think so)? Or should I be using a paper gasket ?
I'm having problems finding part numbers for the O ring/ and also numbers for the paper gasket.

Would there be any harm in using both? Since the paper one is also considered a replacement gasket.

This may sound kinda odd, but I use one thin (approx 20 thou) Oring on the distributor ledge where it contacts the block instead of counting on the one that goes down the hole.
Perfect and dry as a bone, because it pinches the oring between the distributor and the block.
Of course I leave the other one in the groove anyway, but it would make zero difference if it was there or not.

You know, that corner in the aluminum right above the existing oring groove.
Learned that trick about a bazillion years ago.

Attachments

• moparversion.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 222
8 0rings later and I'm still wrestling with the damned thing!:BangHead:

20240408_141443.jpg

Yes to pcv system on engine in car. This is on new sb build, engine is on a stand. I noticed none of the orings Ive tried fit. The issue isnt the potential oil leak, its that the dist shaft sits that much higher outta the pump drive.
I must be lucky. I've never had a distributor leak at the o-ring. Do you have an operable PCV system?

Yes to pcv system on engine in car. This is on new sb build, engine is on a stand. I noticed none of the orings Ive tried fit. The issue isnt the potential oil leak, its that the dist shaft sits that much higher outta the pump drive.
Yeah, yours is obviously not right. Easy enough to troubleshoot though. However, I was referring to the original post. Maybe start a new thread to avoid hijacking his.

I think after 10 years the statute of limitations had run out on hijacking a thread? :poke:
My issue is related??
The last oring I tried was Felpro 6464.
Yeah, yours is obviously not right. Easy enough to troubleshoot though. However, I was referring to the original post. Maybe start a new thread to avoid hijacking his.

I think after 10 years the statute of limitations had run out on hijacking a thread? :poke:
My issue is related??
The last oring I tried was Felpro 6464.
:rofl: Good call. My dumbass didn't even notice the date.

Is the bottom of the tang on the shaft bottoming out in the gear slot? Is the o-ring keeping it from going down? Maybe try it without to see if it drops.

Looks like I may have an oil leak around my distributor . I have a 1966 273 block, and a MP electronic distributor. The distributor has the groove for the O ring (which I'm using). Is this right ( I sure would think so)? Or should I be using a paper gasket ?
I'm having problems finding part numbers for the O ring/ and also numbers for the paper gasket.
The 273's had a embossed steel gasket. They didn't use an o ring. The replacement gaskets are flat fiber.

Last edited:
Lol, no sweat I usually do a search 1st when I have questions. The dist sits down flush with oring removed. So no issues there.
:rofl: Good call. My dumbass didn't even notice the date.

Is the bottom of the tang on the shaft bottoming out in the gear slot? Is the o-ring keeping it from going down? Maybe try it without to see if it drops.

Steve the fel pro ones are way to fat with the paper gasket and that paper cant be used with a point dist, not a good ground. Just FYI
I have them if needed.

Silly question but you don’t have a lock collar on your distributor shaft like many of us run and it’s locked on in the wrong spot.

No paper used, it wouldn't last long anyway lol. It's a 340 block and distributor sits flush without oring.
Oring only, same distributor you worked on Ray.

John, it has a metal collar with set screw but it isn't the issue as it sits down flush with no oring.
Something so simple...I shoulda put verniers to it 6 orings back...:rolleyes:
Steve the fel pro ones are way to fat with the paper gasket and that paper cant be used with a point dist, not a good ground. Just FYI
I have them if needed.

Silly question but you don’t have a lock collar on your distributor shaft like many of us run and it’s locked on in the wrong spot.

-
Back