Distributor position

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
i replaced the dist cap and rotor and wires and plugs. I now notice that the firing order is correct but the whole thing is rotated by 2. Does that make any diference with timing? I now notice a strange knock when i rev to a certain rpm. Coincidnec?

OOps. You should put them back. I static time in a case like this. Pull#1 plug, stick your finger in the hole and bump the engine over till compression trys to blow your finger out. Look at the balancer. It should be close to zero on the timing mark. Close enough to get it started again. Pop the distributor cap and the wire the rotor is pointing to is #1. Put your wires on clockwise 18436572 in that order. Always follow up with a timing light to tune properly. Factory timing specs are pretty weak but that's for another thread. I have good luck with 10° before. tmm

Close :D

Distributor position

Slant 6 Engines

This is why I pound on getting an FSM for your vehicle.

In it you would have found the correct procedure. You mark the distributor housing and block with alignment marks and then mark the distributor housing with a mark where the rotor is pointing.

If the timing was set right to begin with and you align the marks back where they were, you don't even have to put a timing light on it.

Yeah well.......I am to the point where I think it is all for naught anyway.

I think ford labeled theirs first.If wires are in same spots and terminals as before I dont think this would cause any noise. Maybe ones not in the cap good or on the plug good. try pulling one at a time at the plug and if one doesnt make a difference maybe its a bad terminal or wire. Are you sure you didnt knock loose the vacuum advance?
Let us know what you find.

Actually after further inspection, I did do it correctly. I was looking at the diagram backwards.
So now going to try to check the timing, see if maybe that is messed up.

-
Back