distributor question

-

midlife89

Reaction score
If I set the gap at .008,when the distributor advances the pickup hits the reluctor.Is there any remedy for this?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the shaft has wiggle (wear) in it.
can you wiggle the rotor shaft back and forth ?

Mike is right, it could be the shaft is moving a little.

You are doing this with a brass feeler gauge, correct?

the pickup and the shaft should never move to close the gap even when it advances, your distributor bushings are bad, you can buy stock replacements for about $40 for a small block if thats what you have

It's supposed to be a reman,think I'm going to use my summit bucks and buy a new mopar perf distributor

the pickup and the shaft should never move to close the gap even when it advances, your distributor bushings are bad, you can buy stock replacements for about $40 for a small block if thats what you have

Actually they all move some, due to the what amounts to a fairly poor design of the advance plate. I ALWAYS take one of those hand operated vacuum pumps and check the clearance both with and without vacuum.

But it could be what people have mentioned---loose bushings, bent shaft, etc. "Remanufactured" is an insult to us consumers and has been for a very long time

The other problem with a "store bought" rebuilt is that you have no way of knowing what you really have, especially with something that matters, like a carb or distributor. On top of not knowing the quality of the workmanship, you don't know what advance curve is in the thing, unless you actually check it.

I bought it during the rebuild,money was getting tight and I was getting impatient to get it on the the road.Is the mopar one a good piece?

-
Back