Distributor redux

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My new 70 Swinger has been a fun one so far. Last night I attempted to install a Pertronix in the original single point distributor. I dropped a screw for the condenser down inside so I needed to take it apart to get it out. Tap the roll pin and the plastic collar breaks in two. No-one has those available. A friend had a distributor and I broke the collar taking it off. The shop he works at had some brass bushing stock that worked perfect. Cut to length and drill a hole for the roll pin. Fixed! It fired right up and I set the timing @ 12° btdc. No ping and quite a bit of zip. I'm liking this!

Attachments

• 20150721_180135.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 142
12* is all? If you like 12, you will really like 20.

12* is all? If you like 12, you will really like 20.

I started at 12. The vacuum gauge showed it wanted more. I have one of those mechanical advance plates ordered you mentioned in another post. I will check that out and some lighter advance springs later. My 2 barrel carb needs a kit so I didn't want to crowd things. I had a Hell of a time getting out the #56 Autolite plugs. I thought I was going to break them off in the head and they are the wrong heat range for a 70 318. It's much happerier now and so far so am I. LOL

Great. Did the brass bushing fit as is or did they have to turn the ID in a lathe?

Long ago (~1976) a younger brother tuned up my 69 Dart slant as a Xmas present, and to practice his car skills. He didn't tell me that he dropped one of the screws inside. It later jammed the shaft and broke the plastic drive gear (good it is plastic). I got a new gear but thought the shaft cotter pin was supposed to sit on the slot (which should have been down). Perhaps the new gear didn't have a hole for the pin, and you were supposed to know to drill one. Ran fine for hundreds of miles until the pin popped out of the slot. After 2nd time, I got a rebuilt distributor w/ gear installed and said "oh". Amazing how dumb I was in college.

Great. Did the brass bushing fit as is or did they have to turn the ID in a lathe?

Long ago (~1976) a younger brother tuned up my 69 Dart slant as a Xmas present, and to practice his car skills. He didn't tell me that he dropped one of the screws inside. It later jammed the shaft and broke the plastic drive gear (good it is plastic). I got a new gear but thought the shaft cotter pin was supposed to sit on the slot (which should have been down). Perhaps the new gear didn't have a hole for the pin, and you were supposed to know to drill one. Ran fine for hundreds of miles until the pin popped out of the slot. After 2nd time, I got a rebuilt distributor w/ gear installed and said "oh". Amazing how dumb I was in college.

I was lucky, the bushing stock was the correct ID-1/2'' I had to cut it to length and drill a hole through one side. I put it on the shaft and used the hole in the shaft as a guide for the bottom hole. The OD wasn't as big as the plastic bushing but it is non issue really. tmm

I was puzzled about the spark plugs. The 56's are shorter than the Champion 12y's. The electrodes were clean but they came out really hard like they were carbon'd in. The book says they are supposed to be 66's. Its a wonder it ran at all.

-
Back