DIY Dash Bezel Resto.

-

Pateras

Reaction score
I've done some searching and came up with little. Does anyone have a link to a DIY Dash Bezel restoration? Or can anyone just briefly explain what they did? Thanks fellow addicts.

Remove it, clean it, fix any chips and cracks, then paint if needed and install...

Remove it, clean it, fix any chips and cracks, then paint if needed and install...

yea, thanks. That part wasn't overly elusive for me. What reflective paint did you use? What epoxy for crack repair? How to remove the old aluminum foil stuff? What was used to buff the lens? How to dress up the knobs, etc.? You know, adult questions.

I redid my 1974 dart bezel. I just used gray scotch brite pads. The wood grain I got rid of by blowing flaking wood grain off! I went with a cool carbon fiber look overlay offered by DMT or Detroit muscle (one of our advertisers). Masking was a nightmare but did so by trimming with exacto knife and lots of patience!#-o For the silver or chrome outer edge I used mopar rallye silver paint since it is a polyurethane that hols up well to scuffing and the suns rays!:glasses7: For the silver paint lines around gauges I used the silver sharpie marker it works great and is tougher to rub off since its permanent ink! Came out good sorry never posted pics other wise I would. If someone can explain how to upload picks I will be more than glad to show my handiwork I guess! Working on models as a kid paid off for this type of project endeavor! :cheers:

Thanks for the detailed info QuickDart, exactly what i was looking for. I'll take notes and follow your lead!
i did search cosgig's DIY before this original post, but only came up with a thread with people showing off other people's work, maybe i missed it. i actually looked through every single thread started by cosgig, so it must be hidden.

Quickdart, uploading photos is easy; just select "Add Reply" on the lower left of your screen, you'll get the typical message box, well below that, in Additional Options, you'll see a button that says "Upload Photos". click that, then a popup will ask you to Browse to the photos on your computer. Select the photo you want, then do it again for any additional photos, using the 8 or so Browse buttons there. One browse button per photo. When your done selecting, click the "Upload" button on the right side of that Browse popup. give it a second to load, then click close on the button of the same screen. That's it! i always select Preview Post to see if the photos came out like i wanted. let me know if you need further help.
Appreciate everyone's help.

Lens polishing depends on how far you want to get into it. I already have the equipment so it's easy for me but I don't think I'd go this far if I didn't already have the stuff.

If needed, I will sand the lens with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Once it's cloudy I use 3M stage 1 compound with a small wool pad on a drill. After buffing multiple times until clear, I then use 3M stage 2 compound with a small foam pad on a drill. 2 or 3 buffs later and the lens should look crystal clear.

Autogeek sells most of that stuff.

AAhhhh...that's why i couldn't find it. Thanks.

ESP, thanks for the details, I"ll check out AutoGeek for the supplies.

This should really be a sticky.

yea, thanks. That part wasn't overly elusive for me. What reflective paint did you use? What epoxy for crack repair? How to remove the old aluminum foil stuff? What was used to buff the lens? How to dress up the knobs, etc.? You know, adult questions.

I like that your all right

Everything I did is in my build thread, starting at post #34.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=198098&page=2

IMG_4805_zps6d2d6ff0.jpg

IMG_4884_zpse0e78ced.jpg

IMG_4895_zps0fab5be6.jpg

IMG_4924_zps6578e197.jpg

I bought an after market bezel and sent my guages to this well know company that charged me a lot of money to restore and calibrate them.They look nice but i had to take the dash back out because there voltage limiter messed up the calibration on them.If i where to do it again i would buy a nice after market inst cluster and bezel with mechanical guages

-
Back