Do any external bolts tap into the water jackets?

-

H8z2luze

Reaction score
It seems like I remember seeing or reading that on Mopar small blocks one or some of the external bolts tap into the water jacket so it has to be rtv'd? Maybe i'm thinking of something else but I wanted to make sure before I add coolant to this thing lol. Thanks!

Water pump / timing chain housing and the outer studs in the heads for the exhaust flange..

The exhaust ones were the ones I was thinking about. Outer as in one front and one rear on each side only? Or the front two and rear two? Thanks!

When I ran iron heads i used studs in the end holes with pipe dope sealer on them, never had any issues.

All the exhaust bolts go into the water jackets on a big block, I believe. At least on a 70 383 Road Runner I just worked on.

All the exhaust bolts go into the water jackets on a big block, I believe. At least on a 70 383 Road Runner I just worked on.
Depends on the head. Aftermarket alum are almost all dry, my maxwedge the end cylinders are dry, the inners wet, the common muscle Era big block heads are all wet. I stick something thru the ex manifold holes, and use sealer on the wet ones.
I know nothing about what is wet on a small block, never worked on one.....

1968-1970 906 heads all exhaust are wet

The thermostat cover bolts on some intakes go into the cooling system too.

-
Back