Do I go for the complete 489 center or just a brand new sure grip?

-

trebor75

Reaction score
I recently bought an 8 ¾ axle with the 741 center and 3.23 ratio. It’s an open axle. I want a sure grip.
Now my question is, I have the opportunity to buy a complete 489 center with a used clutch sure grip and 3.31 ratio for the same price as just the brand new sure grip for my 741 center.

Buying the 489 will save me a lot of work, and I also get the 3.31 ratio “for free” so to speak. What would you guys do?

buy the 489! Its a lot stronger then the 741, if need be you can rebuild the sure grip unit!

.................3.31 WAS MADE IN THE LATE 50s.....b 4 the 741 case, but same as..........not a 489 case.........kim...........

also they dont make "new" clutch style lsd's anymore, but u can get the originals and rebuild them

.................3.31 WAS MADE IN THE LATE 50s.....b 4 the 741 case, but same as..........not a 489 case.........kim...........

What more can you tell me about this case. I must have been missinformed. Is it the axakt same case as a 741, only older, does it have another name? Will i find parts for it if needed etc...

Thanks

Why not just take some pictures of it and post it so we can better help you

What more can you tell me about this case. I must have been missinformed. Is it the axakt same case as a 741, only older, does it have another name? Will i find parts for it if needed etc...

Thanks

there is no reason to run it... i have a spare 742 if u want but why waste money on a 50's center, just go a 42 or 89 and be done

there is no reason to run it... i have a spare 742 if u want but why waste money on a 50's center, just go a 42 or 89 and be done

I'm in Sweden and parts are very hard to come by for these axles. Thats why I'm interested in this complete case with a sure grip. Also it's at a good price, usually everything is really expencive over here. Cant take pictures because I dont own it.

If it not a weaker case then the 741 it will hold up for everthyng I have planned for my Duster.

The 489 unit is stronger than the 741. I believe parts are still available for both. I just purchased a new cluthc limited slip two years ago. I belirve you could just by clutch parts for the unit and rebuild it,if needed.

Don't be afraid of the 741. I punished the 741 in my dart with about 200 1/4 miles passes so far and haven't broke it yet. A 489 is stronger but the one I have to replace my 741 is a cone type sure grip so it's still sitting under the bench.

-
Back