Do I need a new gas pedal? 6/ to v8 swap.

-

porksoda

Reaction score
I was reading some where that if I do a v8 swap in my Dart that I will need a gas pedal from a V8. Is that right?
I dunno if this is an early-A thing or what but I am just double checking so I can add it to my list of parts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yup you sure do have to convert. It's super easy though. I will post pics next week when I am back home. Any junkyard will have what you need. Wildcat mopars is a good place to start

So will a v8 pedal is something I will need. So does it have to be an early-a pedal or will any v8 a-body work?

64-66 valiant, barracuda, or dart. mine came from a 65 barracuda, bolted right in.

Well seems like its going to be a hard find. Could I just possibly just get a different throttle cable?

So I messaged this guy and he is unsure what kind of car this gas pedal is out of.
Do any of you know whether or not it is a v8 gas pedal or not?

I was reading in another post and a person said this:

I believe that if it's a slant with AC, nothing. They should be the same. A slant w/o AC would have the rod-type gas pedal, which has a bracket for the rod where the plastic rub strip would be on the other pedal.

So since my car is a factory /6 w/AC it should work fine with a V8?

This is a V8 pedal for the early A

pedal001_zps5d1ece74.jpg

You're not just looking for the actual gas pedal, the floor mounted plate and swing arm is also needed as well as the cable and throttle cable bracket. I don't believe that any slant 6 car, even with A/C has the v8 cable setup!! I just sold that entire assembly to our Australian member or I would show a pic. I'll see if I can find a pic to post!!

Wow I learn something every day here. I had no idea you had to do that in early A cars. The only v8 swap I've done has been dusters. All my early A cars were v8 already. Great info here!

I looked at my dart today and I do not see any linkage. It had a cable. Does that make any difference?

For what it worth, take this a grain of salt, I did this when I was 16, I am now 46.
In my first mopar 65 coronet I took a slant out and put a 318 in.
I just ran a long loop in the slant cable and hooked it, ran it like that for years.

My slant was a one owner and then sat in a dirt floor shed for a lot of years so it was all original. It had air and the carb has a throttle cable. I built a small block over the winter and I don't think I will have to change it when I drop the 8 in. Looks like it should connect with little if any modification. Oh yeah, it's a 66 Valiant with a 225 and auto right now.

According to my 65 Parts Catalog, the picture of the slant 6 with AC gas pedal and bracket assembly look identical to the V8. However, they don't show the same part numbers and as a matter of fact don't even differentiate between AC and non-AC in the part numbers. If yours is cable operated, I'd bet it's virtually identical as the V8 (based on the pictures I'm seeing in the catalog)

i have a slant 6 i am parting out there a differrent set uo v-8 a cable 6 is a rod to spring mech.i have a slant 6 if some needs it pm me

Well I am beginning to think I have a v8 pedal cause I looked today and the rubber pedal part just kind of sat on top of the actual pedal on the fire wall. The weren't actually connected together. I'll take pictures in the morning and post. Looks like the pics in the link posted in the beginning of this thread.

Slant six with a/c has the same throttle linkages as a v8.... Lol wish I posted earlier. Not sure the cable is the same length though.

You're not just looking for the actual gas pedal, the floor mounted plate and swing arm is also needed as well as the cable and throttle cable bracket. I don't believe that any slant 6 car, even with A/C has the v8 cable setup!! I just sold that entire assembly to our Australian member or I would show a pic. I'll see if I can find a pic to post!!

Mine did. :D

Slant six with a/c has the same throttle linkages as a v8.... Lol wish I posted earlier. Not sure the cable is the same length though.

+1 The slant cable would be longer due to the carb being farther forward than a 273 car, but the ac slant does use the same cable setup.

So if the original poster has a floor mounted pedal with a cable instead of a rod, then nothing needs changed.

-
Back