Do i need this gasket for oil pump

-

downsr

Reaction score
Have 340 engine with melling oil pump.I took the oil pump off to replace rear seal.The gasket is damaged.Do i need this?You cant buy one unless you buy a new pump.Could make one but does not look like regular gasket material.It is the gasket between the oil pump and the block

I've made some out of gasket material from the parts store with an old one for a template...

Get the flat hard gasket material, not the cork stuff...

It is just a thin to medium thickness gasket paper, maybe .012" ?? Easy to measure what you have as for thickness and then you should be able to find it all sorts of places. I sure would not run without a gasket.

people have run with and without it (& both swear on either way). I use one & sometimes it is needed for counterweight clearance. I'd cut one out of a green/yellow or blue manila folder (they're thin/tough material) & light spray with Permatex 99MA "high tack"

Cut one from oil filter box. Never had an issue.

Why no gasket? The pump surface and mating surface of the rear main cap are both machine surfaces. I never use one, never have. That paper thin gasket ain't gonna seal crap anyway. And if you do have a minuscule leak where is it going? Back in the pan. Now I'm sure I'll hear about Oil Pressure losses? The entire oil system is a controlled leak!

I don't think I have ever torn down a factory build that had that gasket. There are plenty of gasket sets with it in there though.

I don't think I have ever torn down a factory build that had that gasket. There are plenty of gasket sets with it in there though.

This, the factory did not use a gasket there. The two machined surfaces seal all on their own, nothing else needed.

The gasket can squeeze out with time and allow movement of the pump, internal leaks etc.

I have never run one and never had any issues.

It's very similar to Chrysler exhaust manifolds. They never used gaskets in a LOT of those applications, either.

-
Back