Do these drum to disc conversions clear the 14 in steelies?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
I am just trying to get some confirmation from anyone who has converted the 9in drums to the discs up front. Keeping the 5x4 wheels.
I have the 66 dart sedan with 9in drums, manual brakes.

I am looking at this Scarebird bracketry thing, that says it will clear 14 x 5 ralley or Poverty wheels. I have the 14 x 4.5 steelies. In the Scarebird kit he says they have contoured the new calipers to clear the wheels. But I can't seem to locate any person who has done the exact conversion I am trying to do. (without buying new wheels, and without going to LBP).

So anyone done it?
and do the contoured calipers rub on the wheel??
Thanks for any help.

I have ran the scare bird set up for a few years. Poverty rims and ralleys work fine. I did do a little grinding on one of the calipers, but not much. I don’t think any 13 inch wheel would work

Good info. It appears that he already grinds the calipers down. So I am not sure if that mean I have to further grind them down to fit inside my 14 x 4.5 steelies. What sort of tolerance is required between the wheel and the caliper?

I bought my calipers and everything else at NAPA. When I bolted the wheel on I could hear some scraping sounds when I turned the wheel, It was just barely touching. I didn't need to grind off very much at all. I don't know of any specific tolerance requirements, mine don't miss by much.

I put the Pirate Jack kit in my 64 Dart GT and put the 14" Cragar SS wheels back on her with no problem at all. I'm not sure if there should be more room between the caliper and rim, but I haven't had any problems driving. About 1/32" clearance.

I do not know about the early A Bodies, but I used the Stainless Steel Brake Corp kit, and they fit fine behind 14" 5X4 Ralley Wheels.

-
Back