Do these #'s match?

-

71violet

Reaction score
It's a 71 Duster 340. vin#VS29H1B170712, engine # 2780930-340-2, date on motor 5-31-72. Could a 71 Duster even have a 72 dated engine? thanks for the help. There is no fender tag on the car.

the vin u listed is that off the car or engine if off the car u need to get the vin off the engine rt side of engine just above the pan rail i believe...

It's a 71 Duster 340. vin#VS29H1B170712, engine # 2780930-340-2, date on motor 5-31-72. Could a 71 Duster even have a 72 dated engine? thanks for the help. There is no fender tag on the car.
you vin is for a 71 340 Duster. the engine number is actually the 340 part number..2nd casting. A '72 engine would not be installed in a '71 model year car. '70 or '71 casting date yes.

For sure not a numbers match block, if it's cast on May 31st 1972.
The numbers on the block , in the area Superdart mentioned will only be the last 9 digits of the VIN, this is a stamped number, on a machined pad.

Casting dates usually run on average 3 weeks prior to the build date of the car, although some lower production motors could be cast as much as 3 months in advance, and then wait for the call to me machined and assembled. This motor is for a very late build 1972 car. Is it a cast crank or forged crank? Somewhere in the 71-72 changeover they switched to cast cranks in the 340, so I assume that this motor is a cast crank motor. Check the pan rail on the passenger side above the oil pan for the VIN, I doubt it will match!! Geof

That engine could very well be a 1973 model year item.

The engine was cast after the car so, no, it's not the original. The engine would have had a cast crank originally. My understanding is the changeover date was 4/1/72. Sounds like a FOOLish day to me!
Thanks, Mark

thanks for the info, been wondering for years, not that it was a big concern. The guy I got it from figured it was matching, another guy figured it wasn't. I stole it regardless and it'll get driven hard.

thanks for the info, been wondering for years, not that it was a big concern. The guy I got it from figured it was matching, another guy figured it wasn't. I stole it regardless and it'll get driven hard.
The numbers for small blocks are right underneath the drivers side head and are very hard to read.

Car is a 71 and motor produced in 72? If that is the case, NO!

Good response, you are right on the money.
Also, be aware of a restamped VIN on the pad on top of the pan rail.
Sounds like a good car though, i hope you aren't being literal when you say you stole it!
LOL!
How about some pics?

-
Back