Do turbos need astall converter in footbrake applications?

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A buddy,75 Vette.(Yeah,I know.)Stock 3.08s out back,T.H.350.Picked up an old sidewinder Martin turbo kit.It is a small turbo,any clue on needing a converter?

I am using a 2800 in mine. That is where mine is suppose to be building boost.

It will be picked up Tuesday for some issues and hope to have it back in tip top shape ready for tuning by next weekend.

You don't need a high stall convertor for the Martin System. It has a Rajay E flow turbo with a 1.0 A/R hot side.

Make sure you got the oil drain line for the kit. It drains to the fuel pump mounting plate.

The Martin manifold has a few moving parts that should be checked. There are two reed valves under the carburetor. Depending on when it was manufactured they will be either riveted on, or bolted down with small shoulder screws. They hang or "flop" down off of the underside of the upper manifold when there is no boost. They should not be tight against the manifold. Boost will close them right up.

The other moving part is the relief or regulating valve. It is held in the upper manifold with a snap ring. Inside of it is a spring & a Delrin plastic piston. Depending on which spring it has, the valve vents boost from the lower manifold to the upper at 6 or 8 psi. This regulates boost pressure. Make sure the valve moves - push on the piston with a dowel.

It was a good streetable system. The first Corvette system was built on the 1980 Corvette. It should fit the 1975 ok, but the coolant tank probably won't fit - we had a heck of a time moulding new tanks to put in the Corvette kits.

B.

Yeah, it is amazing to me how well those kits have held up. We used quality parts, and the Rajay turbos were aircraft parts.

Here is the original truck system as I built it in 1978:

Martin1.jpg

That was the catalog cover pic,and was actually the last prototype pulled off of the shelf & cleaned up.

B.

Someone is supposed to give me one of these setups...maybe Ill hit him up! Mill the top off an old Mopar single plane and make a top? weld a flange to the top of an exhaust log, some creative ducting...Seems a blow through is easier, this looks like a torque beast!

Well, if you look carefully at that pic & you know anything about chevrolet small blocks you will notice the lower intake manifold was almost an antique in 1978. It has the hole for the front oil fill tube - not just the boss but the actual hole.

I made that prototype from cast-off junk. The upper chamber is all plate, welded together. That inlet elbow is a cast aluminum 90, welded to some .250 plate. There is probably a pound of TIG welding on it.

The original exhaust manifold was a GM "rams horn" with a piece of steel tube welded in & a mild steel flange welded on top for the turbocharger. It logged 60k miles in test vehicles without a failure.

Now for the tale of the LA mopar system.

Shortly before I left martin, I had a 360 on the dyno stand. I built the manifolds the same way. I used an old aluminum 4bbl manifold of unknown origin. I milled it off to the tops of the runners just like I did with the SBC. Then with some bits of plate and a lot of 4043 rod I made it fit the existing martin top cover. The exhaust was a new OEM mopar manifold for a Cordoba with steel tube welded to it. It was not too far from production, but the owner of the company was not a believer. He thought the mopar crowd was too small a market and called them "cheapskates". It got tossed on to a pallet & shoved in a corner so he could work on Delorean engines. Joke was on him.

There is nothing to stop you from doing that again. The elegance of a good draw through is all but lost anymore. Smooth transition to boost with the reeds is a big plus. Smaller runners with high velocity build torque early.

I did have some issues with the mopar carb. I got great results with a Quadrajet on the 360. Our standard recalibration was to swap secondary metering needles on the Q-jet for a target AFR of 11.5:1. Because the huge secondaries opened on boost it all worked well. A vacuum secondary holley could probably be used with some careful tuning.

I would like to see you re-purpose the martin upper half & finally put the 360 mopar system on the street - 32 years after it was on the dyno.

B.

I would like to see you re-purpose the martin upper half & finally put the 360 mopar system on the street - 32 years after it was on the dyno.

B.
Yeah Ok, you talked me into it. I'll put one on the street in a Mopar.

-
Back