Do we really need to run extra trany cooler?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am about to cut and flair my trany lines and I have this nice B&M external trany cooler sitting here.

Is this overkill for street driving and maybe a few passes a year ?

(12 sec et's...maybe 400 hp...)

Your tranny runs the same temp as car. If you dont have a over heat problem there you should be ok with the tranny. I dont run one. If I had one laying around doing nothing like you do Ide probably put it on but you dont need it.

If you're running a stock stall then you are probably OK. If you have a higher stall, then you are going to build more heat. I'd add one if you have a loose convertor. Transmissions can build more heat then you think.

I got to thinking that my 70 Charger went 170k before I rebuilt the trany . Or the engine for that matter..... And I just rebuilt those for the hell of it.

I have and have seen a lot of people do stuff because they read it a mag... Just curious....

This is my 440 Duster with a 2500 stall when I was fighting a loosing battle with my old radiator. The engine was pushing 210 degrees where as the transmission never got over 150 degrees. I am running the transmission fluid through the biggest B&M supercooler they make then in to the radiator before it goes back to the transmission.

I ditched the old radiator for a new aluminum unit with a bigger cooler in the bottom tank. Now, the transmission stays at or below 120 no matter how hard I beat on it.

Do you NEED a transmission cooler. Probably not in a stock application. But, Since my setup isn't exactly stock....I like having one.

[ame]http://youtu.be/2CEZMhdTgRs[/ame]

-
Back