Does a '69 air cleaner look wrong on a '70 Dart Swinger 340

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I have a '69 air cleaner that I was planning on painting with VHT wrinkle black and putting a pie plate on (hope it fits). Will this look drastically wrong? I think the 69 air cleaner is smaller in diameter and taller but I don't know.

I put one on my 70' and liked it, than went with an open element. The Pie Tin will fit.

DSCN0915 (2).JPG

Remember, it's your car, if you like it, that's all that really matters. Unless it's a concourse restoration I would run it. The hell what anyone else thinks.

Don't even ask these questions. Your head will be spinning. Do what you want..........We didn't care back in the 70's and 80's.

If its Mopar on Mopar and you like how it looks, do it!
Make it your car and if anybody at cruise night says anything, point them in the direction of another car to judge.
Enjoy your car.
Its yours and not anyone else’s!
Most people will be overwhelmed with the awesomeness of the car and not even notice. Don't point it out.
I would definitely do it but I like that look too.
My 2 cents.

I'd run that un-silenced 69 air cleaner without a second thought... I have a 70 340 air cleaner on my 70 but I bought it in the 90's for $25... No chance I'd pay todays asking price...

BTW I've used the wrinkle finish paint dozens of times... I've had varying results, and never perfect... Sometimes good, never perfect....

A buddy recently had a couple air cleaners powder coated.... They are beautiful...

So I just spent three hours blasting three air cleaners before dropping them off for powder coating.... When I get them back maybe I'll post pictures.....

Last edited:
Back in 1970, I bought me a barely-used 70 Swinger 340 also with a 4-speed. It was Panther-Pink and I think I still remember the serial number;
LM23H0R321200
Well almost. it seems Ima few placeholders out...............

Can you run any carb under a stock air cleaner ie 4150 or 4160 design?

The 4150/60 series of carbs have the same 5.125 diameter air-horn as do all the Carter AVS/AFB/Thermoquad carbs. I have a spare 70 Swinger340 air filter house and it has been on all these carbs plus an 1850 Holley

if you like it that is all that matters. I am putting a 340 in my 67 Dart with 273 black crinkle valve covers and a 68 340 air cleaner with the 340 pie tin.

Pie tin interchanges. would be great to find an orange pie tin (to go with your presumably orange engine) but they are not currently available from suppliers (the red one is).
I decided to go chrome with my latest small block (and it's in a 1970). Easier to keep nice.

DSC04303.JPG

to me it does look very wrong. Buddy sold his 70 340 Swinger less than a year ago and its been flipped 3 times since and still the wrong air cleaner on it. Guess it doesn;t matter to most people. At ;east to the greedy just looking yo make a buck crowd.

In 71 Mine was sitting in the driveway. The car sounded so much cooler with it off. That thermal quad would roar.

those 68/69 air cleaners look good on any mopar.i run one on my 77 d 100.

-
Back