does anyone know the difference in pitman arms??

-

crycho

Reaction score
what is the difference between a big block pitman arm and one from a 340 Car? is it the shape or diameter of the hole?

The pitman arms are small hole and large hole depending on the year of the car. I believe up to 73 was small hole and after 73 large hole. Nothing to do with engine, the steering box shaft makes the decision.

Exactly. Seems like some folks need to review this. Manual A-body steering boxes had the same diameter steering shaft the entire time. The power boxes changed sector shaft diameters in '73, and the center link also changed in '73 which flipped the direction of the ball joint.

So, there are a few different pitman arms

67-72 manual and power boxes use the same pitman (small sector, early linkage)
73+ power steering (large sector, late linkage)
73+ manual (small sector, late linkage. This can also be used on a small sector power box to use a 73+ steering center link on an earlier car)

As far as I know, there was no difference at all in pitmans for the big block cars. And unless you source your manual box from a C-body or van you shouldn't have to worry about large sector manual boxes.

With my 74 it was the difference between manual and power steering.

As always, I found out the hard way...
I ordered a new one from AdvanceAuto.com
When I got it, I painted it and tried putting it on.
Didn't fit
Found out it was for manual steering
So now I can't return it either.
Power steering has a larger nut too.
I think it was 1 5/16" vs 1 1/8"

what is the difference between a big block pitman arm and one from a 340 Car? is it the shape or diameter of the hole?
The big block arm is about 3/4" longer to better clear the oil pan

The big block arm is about 3/4" longer to better clear the oil pan
I would agree, they are different shape, I had ordered a pitman arm from classic and when it arrived the shaft hole was 1.25 " while the pitman arm I removed from my steering box is 1 1/8" and its for a big block car. I may have a 67 pitman arm as opposed to a 68'?

I would agree, they are different shape, I had ordered a pitman arm from classic and when it arrived the shaft hole was 1.25 " while the pitman arm I removed from my steering box is 1 1/8" and its for a big block car. I may have a 67 pitman arm as opposed to a 68'?

67 and 68 pitman arms are the same. Only the idler is different. You got a pitman for a large sector steering box.

Steering Linkage

And while I won’t say this is exhaustive list, the folks at big block dart didn’t see to include a part number for a big block pitman arm...

Moog/Chrysler Suspension Part Numbers

67 and 68 pitman arms are the same. Only the idler is different. You got a pitman for a large sector steering box.

Steering Linkage

And while I won’t say this is exhaustive list, the folks at big block dart didn’t see to include a part number for a big block pitman arm...

Moog/Chrysler Suspension Part Numbers

There is a discontinued reference for 383 in my Moog book.

IMG_0301.JPG

Got a picture or a part number?
Actually I misspoke, the 383 arm is about 3/4" shorter. The PNs Are: '68 383, 2535536, everything else, 2845745. '69
383, 3004809, everything else, 3004807

Notice firm feel distinguishes between a 67 and 68 big block

So I was wrong, I can admit that and did. I checked all the usual sources, did a search here, checked part numbers, etc. I don’t have a Moog book. When autoXcuda posted the discontinued info I kept searching and found that Firm Feel actually has them and posted the link.

They’re all discontinued, Firm Feel seems to be the only source, and I’ve never seen it mentioned by anyone doing a big block swap here before. So pile on if you want, but you didn’t know where to get one either.

So I was wrong, I can admit that and did. I checked all the usual sources, did a search here, checked part numbers, etc. I don’t have a Moog book. When autoXcuda posted the discontinued info I kept searching and found that Firm Feel actually has them and posted the link.

They’re all discontinued, Firm Feel seems to be the only source, and I’ve never seen it mentioned by anyone doing a big block swap here before. So pile on if you want, but you didn’t know where to get one either.

I don't sense negativity. Just expanding on the differences.

That all said, I think there are plenty of people running the non 383 pitmans on 383 cars.

20171009_091408.jpg

Take no offence I truly appreciate everybody input. We all learned something today. Which I think, u can put
20171009_091408.jpg

no value. I have posted my pitman arm that I removed from the car.

As always, I found out the hard way...
I ordered a new one from AdvanceAuto.com
When I got it, I painted it and tried putting it on.
Didn't fit
Found out it was for manual steering
So now I can't return it either.
Power steering has a larger nut too.
I think it was 1 5/16" vs 1 1/8"
Which arm do you have that you cant return?
What year did you order it for?

Which arm do you have that you cant return?
What year did you order it for?

74 with P/S
Sorry for the slow response, I just saw this today.
I needed a power steering arm.
They sent me a manual.
I'd bet their website still has it listed wrong.
I didn't try to return it since I'd already painted it.
I should have since it was their fault.
I sold it on here for a fraction of the cost.

74 with P/S
Sorry for the slow response, I just saw this today.
I needed a power steering arm.
They sent me a manual.
I'd bet their website still has it listed wrong.
I didn't try to return it since I'd already painted it.
I should have since it was their fault.
I sold it on here for a fraction of the cost.

I just checked, they have corrected it

-
Back