DOES ANYONE USE A RUN STAND?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'd like to set up and use a run stand. What coolant would you use.....50/50 or just plain water?

Thanks

50/50 Sooner or later you will want to unhook and install in a car and you will need 50/50 there. The block will already be full.

I've got a mule 340 to use to set up my carb and ignition first, then the rebuilt 340 to run in the cam.

I prefer water. You can always pull the drain plugs out of the sides of the block after running it to completely drain it. Some people use a pressure regulator on a water hose set to 10 psi or so and a thermostat. But nevermind.... you're in Ontario... Coolant! Does 50/50 even work there or do yo have to run 60/40 or 70/30 ratios? I imagine you see more below freezing temperature than you do above freezing. BRRRRR!

I prefer water. You can always pull the drain plugs out of the sides of the block after running it to completely drain it. Some people use a pressure regulator on a water hose set to 10 psi or so and a thermostat. But nevermind.... you're in Ontario... Coolant! Does 50/50 even work there or do yo have to run 60/40 or 70/30 ratios? I imagine you see more below freezing temperature than you do above freezing. BRRRRR!
LOL.......I'm in Ontario 3 hors north of Toronto, not the North Pole! :) The run stand will be in a heated shop. I was just curious as to ant rust etc that may form in the block after I drain it. Also, any coolant ratio that I use will end up at the recycling depot. I wouldn't want to drain it, and put it in another engine even though it would only have an hour of run time.

I use 50/50 on my run stand and so far never a problem. It does get cold here but my igloo holds the heat pretty good here in London Ont.
I have run coolant mix in the winter here and water in the summer.
I also have re-used the “break in” coolant after installing the motor in the vehicle if it looks ok and tests ok with the guage for my non heated garage
Luckily I haven’t had any major rusty water jackets so far in my blocks.
Ghetto I know but I used a coffee filter once in a funnel after draining the block from the run stand just for fun and had 0 rust to the naked (BRRRR!) eye.

1678804782822.jpeg

Nothing wrong at all with recycling coolant. It's good for at least two or three years in normal use.

50/50 coolant
Distilled Water and Anti-Freeze

Straight water causes instant rusting in the complete cooling system.

Resized_20200712_194110_8421.jpeg

☆☆☆☆☆

I use an engine stand, engines run over six hours or more before I pull. I run recycled antifreeze, use a towel to strain it, if its clean and green use it.
Antifreeze has better transfer of heat then water and it lubes the pump seals better then water.

IMG_4351.JPG

Ghetto I know but I used a coffee filter once in a funnel after draining the block from the run stand just for fun and had 0 rust to the naked (BRRRR!) eye.
I was wondering if I was the only one who used the coffee filter and funnel. Slower than Christmas. In the world of Ghetto, I've done it with ATF after testing a transmission, too. Couldn't see having to buy it twice just because I had to change a front pump gasket... I guess if it works and your on a tight budget it's not completely stupid!

I use water because it doesn't get devilish cold here and if I have a leak, I'm not wasting coolant. Also, 50/50 is bullshit. I'm not paying for half water. If it was half the cost of 100% I might but it's always close to the 100% coolant price.

I use water because it doesn't get devilish cold here and if I have a leak, I'm not wasting coolant. Also, 50/50 is bullshit. I'm not paying for half water. If it was half the cost of 100% I might but it's always close to the 100% coolant price.
I buy pure ethylene glycol, and a jug of distilled water from the grocery store. Mix it myself, and it's close to half the price of premixed.

LOL..........At the local Canadian Tire you can buy premixed 2 stroke fuel for $9 dollars a litre.........That's $35 per gallon to you folks to our south. All because people can't figure out 50:1:lol:

........Geez, did I just hijack my own thread?:BangHead:

-
Back