Does this look right?

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Is the starter gear suppose to sit flush with the flywheel or back a quarter inch like it is now?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 208
Cant tell by the pic about the teeth themselves in the picture but it looks good everywhere else.
Can you explain your concern in more detail.
(like 1/4 which way from the flywheel?) away toward the drivers side, or forward?

The drive gear on the starter moves toward the rear of the car about an inch or so when the the starter is engaged.
Does that help?

Do you mean should it be flush like lined up as in engaged with the flywheel? Not sure what your asking. If it's not being started, the gear should not be engaged with the flywheel teeth and should be parked beside it. We need a little more detail by what you mean by "flush".

Sorry, I meant engaged. If it moves aft when started then it should be just fine. Thanks guys. I just didn't remember if it should be engaged the whole time or not.

Sorry, I meant engaged. If it moves aft when started then it should be just fine. Thanks guys. I just didn't remember if it should be engaged the whole time or not.

Cool, I was hoping that's what you meant.
You are going to LOVE that starter.

Got it. It will kick in when you turn the ignition to start and engage with the fly wheel when the starter relay energizes the solenoid and then disengage when you release the ignition key from the start position.

Yes. That is fine. The starter drive shaft is threaded with very coarse threads so that when the starter is engaged, the gear spins out to engage the flywheel and the speed of the engine plus the spring in the starter drive rotates the gear back in again. If it was lined up with the flywheel all the time, the starter gear would be spinning with the engine all the time. Can you imagine how fast that little gear would be spinning? It would fling apart in no time.

Yes. That is fine. The starter drive shaft is threaded with very coarse threads so that when the starter is engaged, the gear spins out to engage the flywheel and the speed of the engine plus the spring in the starter drive rotates the gear back in again. If it was lined up with the flywheel all the time, the starter gear would be spinning with the engine all the time. Can you imagine how fast that little gear would be spinning? It would fling apart in no time.

Well lets see.
142 or so teeth on the flywheel doing say, 2000 rpm's X 12 tooth? gear being run by that.

I get 23,666.60 RPM's if the engine is doing 2000 RPM's
The armature would probably come out of there resembling something like a rail gun round. :)

LOL. Leave it to you to actually DO the math.

Abodybomber it was late when I posted this thread so it would have been rude to call mike that late. Thanks for all the replies. I'm just double checking everything before I fire it up.

Well lets see.
142 or so teeth on the flywheel doing say, 2000 rpm's X 12 tooth? gear being run by that.

I get 23,666.60 RPM's if the engine is doing 2000 RPM's
The armature would probably come out of there resembling something like a rail gun round. :)

Or get it balanced... LOL!

-
Back