Does this number mean anything?

-

6pkScamp

Reaction score
IMG_4072.JPG
I was cleaning the motor for paint and saw this number that I never noticed before. It's at the top front of the block In front of #1 cylinder

so you are the happy owner of a premium fuel 340 engine! That set of numbers is a 10,000 day calendar recording when the engine was built.

Doesn't that Maltese cross mean the crank was undersized at the factory?

I think so. Something was undersize... make sure you measure EVERYTHING. Lifter bores included.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maltese is .001 undersized could be main or rod bearings as my document does not specify.

If it's has been machined and you are ready to paint then your shop should already know this.

Very good advice to check everything. When I disassembled my 69' 273 it had .020 pistons from standard in it right from the factory. I had to clean the block up, and by sheer luck found some .030 273 pistons new on the shelf at a shop in Puerto Rico.

View attachment 1715026133 I was cleaning the motor for paint and saw this number that I never noticed before. It's at the top front of the block In front of #1 cylinder
The "X" & the Maltese Cross indicates the Rods &/or all Mains are .010" under, ....Maltese Cross only is .001" under for one or more Rod &/or Mains....w/the locations of those
journals stamped on the center counterweight. ID'd by say "R2" & "M3", or multiples, You get the idea. IF, it's the original crank, & IF it's never been reground since it was born.

The "X" & the Maltese Cross indicates the Rods &/or all Mains are .010" under, ....Maltese Cross only is .001" under for one or more Rod &/or Mains....w/the locations of those
journals stamped on the center counterweight. ID'd by say "R2" & "M3", or multiples, You get the idea. IF, it's the original crank, & IF it's never been reground since it was born.

I thought I remembered that correctly, but I sure didn't remember at the other details about those markings.
Thanks for that.

This number is the engine's serial number (not to be confused with the partial VIN on the passenger side)

F - Series (model year) 1970

W - Windsor Ontario, Canada - Engine assembly plant

340 - 340 CID

P - Premium fuel recommended

3225 - Engine final assembly date from the 10,000 day calendar - May 28, 1970

0203 - 203rd engine completed at this plant on the date above.

-
Back