Does welding affect mallory unilite module

-

BWDart

Reaction score
Picked up Dart at muff shop barely made it home runnin real bad did the welding affect the module in the unilite?
I heard with some u need to disconnect bat and module
Thanks

If they didn't unhook the battery, that probably killed it. A muffler shop welded on a Lincoln I had. Killed the alternator.

It certainly could have killed it.

Depends on what kind of welding they did and where. If it was MIG/TIG/ARC it could depend on how/where they put their grounds. But the short answer is, yes, it could have killed it if they didn't disconnect everything properly.

The Uni-Lite module is fairly simple, damage will most likely result in it not running at all.
My guess would be engine ground, distributor cap, plug wire(s) or something else loose.

The Uni-Lite module is fairly simple, damage will most likely result in it not running at all.
My guess would be engine ground, distributor cap, plug wire(s) or something else loose. They may have jacked the engine for clearance.

Or they may have removed the engine grounds to keep from frying the distributor and forgot to hook them up. Good catch!

Did they drop the crossmember and push the distributor cap over?

It sure could. Transient voltage from a welder can damage modules and computer components. I sell a surge suppressor that prevents this.
1603180002452s0_s.jpg

-
Back