DOH, escaped driveshaft and not shifting after.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I know what you are thinking, but check this out.
Early last week I stepped on it and twisted the diriveshaft off at a stop light, so I get the car taken home on a flatbed and make a call to the local machine/driveshaft shop.
The next day I have a brand new 7290 U joint shaft guaranteed to 600hp.
I put the shaft in the car and we take it to a couple of stores to catch up on some shopping, and everything was fine again.

The next day the trans doesn't want to upshift.
So I step in more and it finally shifts but super late like 4k or so
I'm thinking what could have possibly happened to the trans by dropping the driveshaft if I have all gears but they are just super late?
When the shaft went it was just one single pop while in manual first and the way my exhaust is built the shaft can't drop on the ground because it's captured in the tunnel.

The next day when I planned to take another look at it I came down with some sort of nasty stomach bug and I couldn't do much of anything except think of the possible reasons this could happen.
All I could really come up with was that when the shaft went I inadvertently put the trans in park before the trans had stopped spinning and it skipped off the park lock until it slowed enough.
Not something I liked much, but it's not the end of the world.
I was thinking probably some little piece of flake or something came off the park hub and jammed the governor. (They are right next to each other)
It was the only thing that really made any sense.

Jump to this morning and I feel a lot better, and decide to go take a look and see if I can find out what's up.
I figured I would check the fluid for level and then fire the car up and see if I can get the governor to clear with the wheels off the ground running through the gears.

Oh, one other odd little thing was that the trans didn't seem to want to go all the way into park and wouldn't start in park after this happened, so I was thinking there may be some sort of linkage damage from sticking it in park while the trans is still turning. (unusual, but hey gotta consider it at this point)

I always like to start wit the simple stuff first, so I pop the hood and notice my TP cable has a lot more slack in it than usual.
Hm, yep it's pulled all the way as if the throttle was wide open.
The bolt for the pivot of the cable controlled TP at the trans was caught on the shifter lever just under it by one thread of the end of the bolt.
This held the TP wide open and didn't let the shifter lever engage park all the way.
A slight tweak with a screwdriver of the TP lever and all is good now.

This could have been a lot more pointlessly involved if I hadn't looked over all the external stuff first and noticed the slack in the TP cable at the carb linkage.:D

Even though I have been doing this kind of stuff most of my life I know that our first instinct to is panic a little when it comes to our own car.
Try to stay calm, think things through and start with the simple stuff first.
More times than not, it pays off.

Last edited:
What could have pulled the cable out of the proper location? Did you check the trans mount to make sure it didn't break, moving the tranny to cause problem the with the linkage.

While reading your post my first thought was kick down lever.

Glad it was a simple fix

You better pull the tranny and check the overrunning clutch if a 727. The spag may have left you, and next thing is not pretty!

Last edited:
Before I got to the end of your OP my thought was the TV linkage had loosened. Glad it was so simple, must be nice to have enough power to blow the driveline out of your car:)

You better pull the tranny and check the overrunning clutch if a 727. The spag may have left you, and next thing is not pretty!

It is an A500 and had all gears functioning correctly besides the late shifts.

Before I got to the end of your OP my thought was the TV linkage had loosened. Glad it was so simple, must be nice to have enough power to blow the driveline out of your car:)

Well, it was an original driveshaft, and the trans I have has the low geared first.
Plus I suppose new 10 inch Nitto's didn't give much slip.:D

What could have pulled the cable out of the proper location? Did you check the trans mount to make sure it didn't break, moving the tranny to cause problem the with the linkage.

The bolt shaft pointing down through the TP lever was really close to the shift lever anyway, so I'm thinking either the park lock rattle when I put it in park with the trans still turning or just a fluke that it did it the next day after it ran fine the day before.
I wanted to put the TP cable bolt shaft facing up through the TP lever just because of that possibility, but the pivot end was too big to fit between the levers.
I just bent the TP lever up about 1/8 inch so everything clears by that much now.

I have a super heavy spool type PST poly trans mount so it really can't tear or move and cables for both the shifter and the TP so I don't think they should be affected much when the trans bounced.

Not sure about A500's, but if it has a front band check the adjustment. I had this happen in my 727 and the band broke, it would shift but not until I slightly let off the throttle. Checked the band adjustment and it just kept screwing in with no tension. Something wasnt right so I dropped the pan and thats when I found the front band in a couple pieces.

-
Back