Doin A Little Work On Gladys...

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So Gladys' bottom tank on her radiator started spewin the other day. It was a cheap plastic tank/crimped on aluminum core. Surprisingly, Summit had an all aluminum radiator in stock for her. Thing is huge. 26 3/8 wide core and 19 1/4 high. That's the CORE measurement. LOL Overall it's over 30" wide. That's a heap of real estate. So I got that replaced and of course, then the water pump starts howling. LOL So I got a new Milodon high flow pump and that's what I'm doing today. All I can say is, thank goodness for the Summit card. LMAO. Anyway, I don't know if any of yall are familiar with the Cleveland style engines....the 351C, 351M and 400 are all Clevelands (335 series). The timing cover is basically a flat steel plate sammiched between the block and water pump. The gasket between the timing cover and block doesn't get replaced when you put a pump on it.....but it gets DISTURBED. See where I'm goin? LOL So I said FFFF it and whipped the balancer off and took the timing cover off too to put a new gasket behind it because I JUST KNEW it would leak if I didn't. Lo and behold the 351M in old Gladys has a double roller chain. How bout that? lol Here's where I am so far. Of course Oreilly didn't have the gasket set in stock. I'll have that tomorrow and go on back together. I think I took out about 31 bolts to get "all this" off. LOL Always somethin, ain't it?
GLADYS WORK.JPG
GLADYS WORK1.JPG

Last edited:
Yup, their lotsa fun. Kim
The way they're laid out is really very modular. Although there are a LOT of bolts to remove for the job, they are all readily accessible. I've always loved how Ford laid the accessory drives out from the 50s all the way through the early 90s. Really simple.

So Gladys' bottom tank on her radiator started spewin the other day.

There’s a name you don’t hear e very day.....the last time I heard that one was on the Bewitched show...Gladys Kravitz iirc.

There’s a name you don’t hear e very day.....the last time I heard that one was on the Bewitched show...Gladys Kravitz iirc.
It was Mama's first name. She was Gladys Nan. She didn't like the Gladys part so everybody called her Nan. I always liked Gladys. She was named after my great Aunt Gladys. Gladys is actually the first vehicle I have ever named.

It was Mama's first name. She was Gladys Nan. She didn't like the Gladys part so everybody called her Nan. I always liked Gladys. She was named after my great Aunt Gladys. Gladys is actually the first vehicle I have ever named.
Very cool Rob. I can only guess the origin must be from the flower but I surely don’t know. I had a great grandmother who’s maiden name was Stanwood. My brother has the good fortune of carrying that family name. It’s one I’ve never heard before as a first name.

The way they're laid out is really very modular. Although there are a LOT of bolts to remove for the job, they are all readily accessible. I've always loved how Ford laid the accessory drives out from the 50s all the way through the early 90s. Really simple.

That is exactly why I have always hated GM vehicles take off 1 bracket and you have to take off 2 more and then to take off ect. ect.

Hey Man, Jimmy Played w/ Curtis
I'm sorry Ironracer, I have to admit I'm not familiar with them, I just heard of Gladys knight & the pips when I was younger.
Jimmy Hendrix ?
Who's curtis

I was wondering who Gladys was but the 351M gave it away. Didn't you used to work at O Reilys? They are now my go to here in a sea of parts stores.

I did. I was assistant manager there for a while.

Got old Gladys squared away after church today.
GLADYS.JPG
GLADYS WATER PUMP.JPG

That new aluminum radiator should keep her cool. She's a pretty ol' girl!

She is in really good shape for her age. That 351M is perhaps the Rodney Dangerfield of Ford engines. They did NOT respond well to the extra heat of catalytic converters. Stock for stock they will easily out pull a 350 Chevy and probably give a 360 Chrysler a run for it. The canted valve heads make a difference.

Gladys is a lady's name. I'm sure your mother was a fine southern lady.

I'm glad I went ahead and finished her up. I almost let her wait till tomorrow. I knew it was gonna rain and it's pourin down bullfrogs.

-
Back