Dominican Republic vacation??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
stepson and new bride are headed to honeymoon there. all know is the island is half Haiti and half D.R. no doubt Haiti is the poops, but I have heard the D.R. is upscale, somewhat??????
they can afford a nice honeymoon, but both are tight, and house hunting, but does anyone have first hand knowledge of this as vacation destination!!???

Everyone I know who went there came home sick. I recommend St. Martin, Antigua, or Grenada. A little more expensive, but worth it imho.

I went there once on a missions trip, so needless to say, we didn't spend any time in any touristy areas. We helped build a church in the ghetto and helped other people with small home repairs.

If nothing else, you'll leave there thankful you live in the States!

It's probably an all inclusive which means a large fence to keep people out or to keep you in, however you want to look at it. Beaches are usually good but food can be fair to OK and you don't have any other options (remember the fence?). Do you know which resort? There are more than one. My wife and I like cruising, we can visit for the day and move on for a new place tomorrow, food is excellent (especially Oceania cruise line). I've found most Caribbean Islands are the same just the names have been changed so you don't think you are on the same one all the time.

Last edited:
We went to DR for our honeymoon 4 years ago. We stayed at an all inclusive resort. It was nice, but if they wanna drink water, make sure it's bottled! Also, not a bad idea to use bottled water to brush your teeth. Most people that get sick there is from drinking the water.

It was nice, but if they wanna drink water, make sure it's bottled! Also, not a bad idea to use bottled water to brush your teeth. Most people that get sick there is from drinking the water.

and this is true for almost every foreign country you visit
not that their water is not "safe" to drink, but it is simply not compatible with what you are used to drinking
(meaning the natives can drink it all day long, but you cant)

I don't know the name of the resort. I will pass it along to watch the water!!! his wife is an RN but that would be little comfort with a bad stomach bug!!

We go to Puerto Rico twice a year. San Juan water is similar to ours. Never a problem. Nassau has worse water. D.R. we would never consider. Ever. When do they go?

St. Martin for sure. Been there may times. Dutch/French. The best.
well, one half of it is the best :poke:

just make sure your not guilty of kidnapping Mr. Heineken while your out there

well, one half of it is the best :poke:

just make sure your not guilty of kidnapping Mr. Heineken while your out there
We stay on the French side because of the great places for dinner and beaches. However the wife loves the shopping in Phillipsburg. And yes Mr. Heineken is most popular.

We stay on the French side because of the great places for dinner and beaches. However the wife loves the shopping in Phillipsburg. And yes Mr. Heineken is most popular.

do you remember the story of Freddie Henieken?
he got kidnapped back in 83 or so
the guys who did it ran off to France and hid out there for a while
the French authorities caught them, but were not willing or able to extradite them to the Netherlands (i forgot the specifics)
in order to cooperate with the Dutch authorities they decided to put the three guys on "house arrest" on St. Maarten...all the Dutch authorities had to do was wait for them to wonder of to the wrong side of the Island

stepson and new bride are headed to honeymoon there. all know is the island is half Haiti and half D.R. no doubt Haiti is the poops, but I have heard the D.R. is upscale, somewhat??????
they can afford a nice honeymoon, but both are tight, and house hunting, but does anyone have first hand knowledge of this as vacation destination!!???
my brother is at casa decampo
i hear its full of hookers and legal ***** houses casa de campo is the best area

I vote Bermuda, but dont rent the mopeds. British road rules, and island is made from volcanic rock equals walls made from it, and bad road rash if you mess up and drive on wrong side of the road. Whole island is nice. Get a cabbie whos willing to pick you up daily and take you places like the smallest church in the world, smallest draw bridge in the world, and other cool stuff. Oh and the sand is made of pink coral. It doesnt stick to you, and is never hot on your feet. You can fly in, or take a cruise ship in.

Ex wife went to D. R and had a blast. Tell the to do the waterfall tour.
Im not one for tourist traps and would rather spend time at local hangouts... Maybe not D. R local hangouts.... Lol. But Germany and France or Costa Rico..... Oh yeah!

Never been there but the Dominican Republic has a great cigar industry. It'd be pretty cool to tour the Fuente factory.

thanks for the input. they are aware f the nature tour, the fence, and the water! going there probably because they are both cheap! ha
I have been years ago ( X won the trips thr her job) to Bermuda , Naussa (spelling ha).. I would never spend a dime to go to any of those place. just me,........

i hear its full of hookers and legal ***** houses casa de campo is the best area

Hehe. In order to avoid trouble with stateside girls, I have a brother who flies them over here, and when he's done with them he flies them home.

-
Back