Don garlits brand tachometer on ebay - WOW

-
Naw. For a brand new one with the box and all the guts it came with, that's not bad. I had one in my 65 Valiant. When I sold the car, I took it out and later gave it to a good friend. They are a super cool piece.

My friends has on e in a 70 Bee he has, been there for a long time and cool piece :glasses7:

Its also a "must have " for the "high end" collector. It says so right in the ad. That right there took the price from $300 to $711.

It never was "Don's tach". Dixco sold those through the 70s. They were all printed with Garlits' authentic authorized signature. It's a boni-fide Garlits signed tach and there were few of them made.

Even though it's a Garlits tach it's not worth that much. Dixco was one of the cheapest tach and meter companies. They were sold at K Mart I believe.

Do you know where yours is today, Rob?

Yeah I sure do. My friend still has it. He has a big room with all his collectables in it. It's in one of his glass cases. Lives in Perry, Georgia.

Even though it's a Garlits tach it's not worth that much. Dixco was one of the cheapest tach and meter companies. They were sold at K Mart I believe.

Easy for you to say. It's not yours. NEW WITH THE BOX.

You remember who Don Garlits is, right? Lets not be stupid here. The guy practically INVENTED modern top fuel racing as we know it. Broke every important speed record in that class there is to break. Innovator, driver, inventor, legend genius.

Yeah I am sure you would sell yours for 150 bucks. Go spew your bullcrap somewhere else cause I ain't buyin it.

You aint buying it? And you didn't buy it did you! Did Garlits sign it personally? No! Was it mass produced. Yes. Was it worth what the winner paid for it? Not in my opinion. The guy sold it for big bucks and a couple clowns bid against each other to get it. Keep your personal comments to yourself!

Bought new Sun Tach from Summit and added my own flavour to it.

DSC00026.jpg

That's how collectables go, highest bidder dictates value.
It wouldn't be worth that amount to anyone looking for a quality tach to actually use on a competitive car.
They really were gimmicky cheap crap even when new as toolman states.
Marketing ploy to generate funding for his racing career. He had to collect where he could.
I would bet Don never trusted a single engine that ever won a race to one of these tachs.
Jones would have been a much smarter choice back then. Sox and Martin
endorsed Stewart Warner which they actually used on their racecars.
He was just paid to print his name on them and put his picture on the box.
He will charge you for a autograph to this day. Tires he raced on were sponsored.
Its all part of his gig. A very innovative gig at that to remain on top for so many years.
It is just a cool part of racings marketing history. I could be wrong but it would take a
old photo of one of his dragsters with one of these tachs mounted to convince me otherwise.

SW put their name on my OEM 65 'S' tach and that thing sucked, sardine can sender and all. it was about .5 seconds behind the motor. Vrooom..swing..vrooom..swing.

Most professional racers used cable operated tachs back then.
The Stewart Warners were much lighter than a Jones. I always figured
that's why the S&M team used them. Wouldn't surprise me if Ronnie never looked at the tach going down the track.

Funny thing is, if someone here had it in the for sale section, it would have a 1200 dollar price tag and everybody would be talkin about how cool it was.

You aint buying it? And you didn't buy it did you! Did Garlits sign it personally? No! Was it mass produced. Yes. Was it worth what the winner paid for it? Not in my opinion. The guy sold it for big bucks and a couple clowns bid against each other to get it. Keep your personal comments to yourself!

Agreed!!!! RRR go back to hibernation.

I had one of these back in '96 I picked up at a junk sale for 5 bucks. Was shocked to find it's value was a few hundred even back then. Then my landlord's son and/or his uncle stole of it out of my car. They denied it of course. But I know. We will meet again.

It definitly is cool Rob, pretty rare to still be in the box also after all these years. And youbetcha, you can't blame someone for getting what they can for it.
Many old hot rod parts that were sold out of the Whitney catalog or local dime store can bring big money today. Gimmicky as they were. Cal Custom had a good sized line of this stuff. Some collect it today or install it on there day two type cars. I have some valve covers made by them for this very reason. Not much of it could really be considered parts that actually made your car faster but its still very cool. We loved it then and some still do. There is still a chrome isle at autozone as a sad comparison. You never saw a lot of this stuff on the pro racers like Garlits cars is all. Its a little to sleazy for a dragster.

Exactly. I think YOU get it. I never said it was quality. It has collectability because 1, it's rare, and 2, it's not only associated with Don Garlits, but it has his authorized screen printed signature. He GAVE his permission to use it. He DID sign SOMETHING at some point to be used as a copy on the tach.

All that said, people have the right to ask whatever they want for THEIR stuff. Everybody else has the right not to buy it.

It's worth what people are willing to pay. I collect mopar muscle dealership promotional model cars. I sold just a BOX for 200.00 bucks. But it was the "right box".

-
Back