don garlits

-
He just turned 80 ,They had a big party in Pomona.

Good man to meet. Met him several times at local speed shop and race track. Hellva good man to bs with. Get well soon daddy!!!!

Get well, Don! I have a pusher truck and pushed him in one of his dragsters at the U.S. Nationals last year, second time I had done that with him! Hope he will be OK.

Attachments

• 2011 US Nationals 021.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 293
The guy has had one 'ELL of a ride. I do wish him well. At his age, he has to apologize to no one.

Well that just really sucks. Talked to him a number of times at different events. He is always very easy to talk to and never has the big head like so many of the young guys coming up do. He is a racers, racer. Get well soon Big. We're all praying for you.

Met "Big Daddy" at his museum a few years ago- very nice and accommodating to everybody who realized who he was. Thoughts and prayers, heckuva a guy!

PLEASE READ

I have not been able to verify this, but some postings on other forums had this message, supposedly from Don himself:

=======================================================================

"From Garlits himself:

Friends,
I put my wife into the hospital Friday and Saturday the Doctor told me she would never come home! The very next morning I had a stroke, however I was rushed to the hospital and they got to me in time and I’m home now doing great. Just a small memory loss for about an hour! The good Lord was with me! Pray for both of us.
Thanks, "

========================================================================

Get Well Don,....Super nice guy,....I only have 2 autographes,....One from Don when he was @ E-Town a few years ago,...The other from "The King"...

Well that just sucks, my heros are dying. I met Big when I was about 12 (I think), it was just after he tore up the strips with the first rear engine fueler. I remember him talking engines and he was so calm and matter of fact. He's got a deep understanding of what it takes to go fast "right on the edge". Get well soon Don and take good care of the misses

God Bless Don... heres to a speedy recovery.
Prayers and best wishes out to you and your wife.

Attachments

• GARLITS.php.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 185
another one of my heroes having problems only the best of thoughts cant wait till we cross paths again always hoping for the best for you and your family sandy

I haven't met him yet, but want to. We almost caught up with him at Mopar Nats about 14 years ago, but the closest we came was 1/2 hour behind him. My son and I are big fans. Get well soon to both Don & his wife.

-
Back