Don't pump gas on May 15th.

-

Joeychgo

FABO Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of
gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all Americans are asked to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now almost $3.00 a gallon in most places.
There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet and the average car takes about 20 to 30 dollars to fill up.

If all American s did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this titled 'Don't pump gas on May 15th'--

It won't make one bit of difference. Read here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Even if you don't buy your gas on May 15th, you're still going to need it. It's not like your tank will be filled magically, so either the day before or the day after the gas stations are going to get your money.

Now, if the deal was we all go to the gas stations on May 15th, fill up and leave without paying, that'd make a difference. Otherwise this won't do anything at all.

OK, I've seen this all over the internet.

1. First of all, there are over 150 million American internet users so how old is this?

2. I was alive, well and driving in 1997 and I don't recall any fuel price decrease due to an "Internet Boycott".

3. If you don't fuel on the 15th, would you fill up on the 14th? What about the 16th? What in the world difference would it make in the oil companies quarterly earnings? The only thing that might get screwed up is the retail (little guy's) tanker fill schedule.

4. The only thing that might make a difference is to walk, ride or bus to work on the 15th decreasing overall gasoline usage for one day, but that would only be a drop in the bucket.

Don't get me wrong, I just filled up last night at 2.97 a gallon and this is absolutely ridiculous. I'm ready to build my own still and make my own fuel out of garbage and grass clippings if this crap keeps up. Big oil is out of control and is using every excuse imaginable to keep the price artificially high. I don't remember hurricanes or refinery maintenance ever affecting prices 20-25 years ago, only the price of crude.

The time of alternative fuels is here. I'm all for E-85 and it's 105 octane rating and my next engine build will be built with this in mind. Big oil hates alcohol because unlike gasoline, anyone can make it (although most likely not in the quantities they would need, unless they own a farm).

Ok, I'm done ranting now. :)

ramcharger said:
Don't get me wrong, I just filled up last night at 2.97 a gallon and this is absolutely ridiculous.

That's cheap! I paid $3.29 this morning on my way to work. :-( I haven't filled up my truck in weeks, I put in $30 every 5 days or so.

mikelbeck said:
That's cheap! I paid $3.29 this morning on my way to work. :-( I haven't filled up my truck in weeks, I put in $30 every 5 days or so.

Ouch!!! :cussing:

Joeychgo said:

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of
gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all Americans are asked to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now almost $3.00 a gallon in most places.
There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the Internet and the average car takes about 20 to 30 dollars to fill up.

If all American s did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this titled 'Don't pump gas on May 15th'--

im with ya too joey!!!
i just dont understand why some of you people have to be SOOOO negative!!!

You guys don't know how lucky you are! I haven't seen $3.00 a gallon in years. It's $1.225 a litre here, there's 4 litres to an American gallon so that's $4.90 a galon Cdn which with the American Peso being in the crapper works out to about $4.40 a gallon US!!!! :cussing: I'll make a point of not pumping on the 15th.

now that ethnol is being used they are raising the price of milk
the excuse is the price of feed is going up because the feed is going to e production
does it ever stop
mike

Obviously, if you don't buy gas on May15, you'll have to get it earlier or later. Thats not what this is about. Its about making a statement to the oil companies and government officials that are supporting the oil companies that people can and will join together and do something about being held up at the local gas station. I totally agree with alternative fuels too, and hopefully sooner than later, they will become more available.

i'm with you guy's on not filling up on the 15th. the thing is though that i think we should all be a little more conservitive in our use of the car. say not use it to go to the corner store to pick up milk, if we live in the city. though i do under stand the need to drive when living in the country.

as for the price of milk going up well i have not drank it in years due to alearges.

just my two cents

Maybe I'll have to start looking for a slant 6 to replace my 340??? There is no good news when it comes to energy. I no longer drive my truck, except when I have to use it for necessary hauling. I think the best plan would be to boycot one popular brand, like Exon or Texaco. Trying to get everone to do it is a problem, (too many people don't care, or have too much money). Howard

Howard is looking in the right direction. If everybody would boycot the large oil company's chain stations and only buy thier gas at the smaller places, then sooner or later the chain stations will bring down thier prices to try and get the business back. I have been refusing to buy from the largest around here, but trying to get all the people to do it is near impossible. They say it won't make any difference, or, that's out of my way, or some other lame excuse.
Up here in Canada the one biggy that is nation wide is PetroCan. So don't buy your gas there or the next biggest in your area. That is real tough to do, isn't it.

Jack

I usually buy my gas at Arco, (not good, but not the worst of the worst). They usually are lower then the big conglomerates. If we could get everone to cooperate in a boycot, It wouldnt take but about 2 weeks, and you would see some dramatic results. Wonder if Al Gore gets a break when refueling his private jet, or is it an Inconvienent Truth? Howard

The problem, amongst other things is there isn't any genuine competion, they all charge exactly the same price up here, and the little guys get their gas from the big guys so there's only so much they can do. I have noticed when in the States that you guys can have 3 stations at the same intersection and they have different prices, we do not have that. Gas is heavily taxed everywhere but we really beat it up here. Any time the bus system needs money they add another 10 cents a gallon tax to it. Like I said we're at $4.40 US a gallon here, that's pretty rough on the dual quad hemi boys :lol:

mikey parts said:
now that ethnol is being used they are raising the price of milk
the excuse is the price of feed is going up because the feed is going to e production
does it ever stop
mike

As a dairyman I can say that excuse is purrrrrrrrre Bull**it!! :lol:

The oil prices are not set by the oil companies like exxon, chevron, etc. It is set by OPEC and by public trading on the stock market. The big oil companies won't sell cheaper than they pay for it. Granted they could lower their profit margins and still make a decent profit but that is a bandaid fix at best, the cost of a barrel of oil needs to drop to be the real fix and oil companies can't set the price of a barrel of oil.

But I will still help with not buying fuel May 15th, it might not matter at all but one thing is for certain if we do nothing at all, nothing will ever change.

Chuck

I find it hard to believe that we cannot come up with alternative liquid that will ignite! We can send a man to the moon, but can't come up with an alternative fuel. I feel like the oil companies are screwing us.

Naturally the price of oil plays a large role in the price of gas however collusion amongst the companies keeps it at whatever level of profit they choose. Most businesses try to compete with each other with lower prices or a better product. They could charge $10 a gallon if they wanted, warranted or not, the rest would just cheerfully play along. We don't have any regulation on it here, they move the price whenever they want like right before a long weekend or during the summer. As long as there is a huge demand we will pay whatever we have to. Same thing on cigarettes, doesn't matter how much they charge, people will still pay whatever they have too, with more cursing.

mikedevore said:
I find it hard to believe that we cannot come up with alternative liquid that will ignite! We can send a man to the moon, but can't come up with an alternative fuel. I feel like the oil companies are screwing us.

There is, synthetic gasoline. The Germans used it in WWII because they couldn't get petro fuel very easy. Most race fuels today are full synthetic or at least partial synthetic. But it is still cheaper to pump it out of the ground.

Chuck

340mopar said:
The oil prices are not set by the oil companies like exxon, chevron, etc. It is set by OPEC and by public trading on the stock market. The big oil companies won't sell cheaper than they pay for it. Granted they could lower their profit margins and still make a decent profit but that is a bandaid fix at best, the cost of a barrel of oil needs to drop to be the real fix and oil companies can't set the price of a barrel of oil.

But I will still help with not buying fuel May 15th, it might not matter at all but one thing is for certain if we do nothing at all, nothing will ever change.

Chuck

Chuck is right. the "big oil companies" average about 9 cents a gallon profit. WOW big profit. the feds profit around 45-50 cents a gallon in taxes. and they dont do a damned thing. so who is the real culprit. neither. we, (USA) have billions of barrels of oil that are still in the ground that the enviromentalist wackos wont let the oil companys touch. whos the real problem? like high gas prices? blame an enviromentalist.

Dont tell me that 73'-318Valiant, I am moving to Mooresville, NC in 9 weeks. But luckily I am getting a place close enough to work and school that I can just walk or ride my bike there.

This quote is pure truth,
if we do nothing at all, nothing will ever change.
brought to you by Chuck.

But time for my rant and rave session, I am all for not buying gas for one day and I will even hook up my loud speaker, cb, and every communicating decive I have to my truck and go to every city and town on the eastern panhandle of WV and also Maryland and Virginia if it will help some how and let people know.

There is millions of things I have seen done to automobiles to get better gas milage or to be cheaper. This isnt fiction but its the truth, my grandfather was a moonshine runner and he actually used it in his tank to run the car, no lie. All it really is, is corn wiskey, E-85 (if I am thinking clearly). Problem is you need to run high compression, 13-14 I would believe so with an aluminum head.

Another is a process called atomatizon of fuel before injected that I forget who but he was a famous drag racer design it and put it in Pontiac Fiero. Now I aint talking about atomatzion as in fuel and air mixed with turbleance in the intake runner, talking about heating the fuel up before its even injected through the injectors. It could do 0-60 in 4 secs, and got close to 40mpg I believe. It was a complicated system with many parts, but no one that I know of has ever even tried to perfect it.

My rant is just stating that there are many ways to save gas but the most effective I have seen is if I keep my foot out of it haha.

For the young guys like myself that want to be in this great industy of automoblies and being technicans on them, check out Ohio Tech College. They have an alternative fuel program, but also never count college out due to the Hybrids (?) and a technican needing a bacholers degree in Electronics.

The only thing that MIGHT work, is to stop driving for one day. Don't go to work, don't go to the store, stay at home. Then not only would you stop using however many gals of oil, you would have many businesses screaming at the government to do something, because they wouldn't have anyone at work, to make them money. But that will never happen. You could never get enough people to go along with that. It be be too inconvenient.

-
Back