Door latch

-

Otateral

Reaction score
The drivers side door latch has had issues since I bought it. When you press button to open the door from the outside, or pull the handle fom the inside then the latch drops on the door. This causes the door to not shut because the latch hits the striker.

The only way to remedy this is to press in the button or pull the inside handle and then grab the latch on the side of the door and push it up.

I don't even know where to begin in fixing this, since I don't even know what's wrong with it. Any help?

Do you know what other years will work? I have a 69 Valiant 2 door. Curious if other A body latches will fit.

67-73 A and B bodies used the same latch and door handles iirc. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

You may have several things happening with the latch mechanism:
It may need to be cleaned and lubricated. This can be accomplished with WD40 using the little tube to direct it into the inner moving parts of the latch. Keep the window rolled up, or it will get coated with splash while cleaning. Once all the sand, old grease has been cleaned, and latch moves freely with a nice snap, lube it with white grease. I recommend you work the latch between open, and closed position while door is open using a large Philips screw driver to simulate the door jamb latch post to prevent the door from failing closed which will needlessly complicate the project. Performing a cleaning, and working the latch will show if the latch has a broken spring which will require finding a good used part.

Second problem that plaques these cars is a sagging door that when closed does not line up with the striker, and cause problems such as sticking or hanging up. This problem generally can be fixed by rebuilding or replacing bottom door hinge, and adjusting door fit if needed. Personally I have not had good luck rebushing the old hinge, and end up buying a factory rebuilt hinge.

The third problem is that the linkage on the inside of the door handle behind the thumb push can become worn, or broken and can’t articulate the linkage enough to operate the door latch properly. This one may require filling, or shimming the back side of the door handle. This is something one needs to futz around with to figure out just what needs to be adjusted; unfortunately this will require a bit of welding, or epoxy & scraps of sheet metal to make a shim.

How are the door pins on the door-- u say the latch drops? or does the door drop?

How does the latch operate when not closed on the door(manually operate it a few times)

soak the latch with carb cleaner then pb blaster/wd -40 -- see how much crud comes out.

69 darts are 1 year only due to the position of the inside door lock-- If valiants moved the lock knob then you need 69 only

the first pic is a 69 latch -- the 2nd is a 67 latch--
I ended up cleaning my latch up with a diluted solution of muratic acid--- it worked so well I re-lubed & installed it(I could not find a suitable replacement)

i have a thread on here I'll try to find-- about my door latch experience ,Lawrence

Attachments

• 484269168_o.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3880.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 332
When the door is open, the part circled is the part that drops (only when the exterior button is pressed or interior handle pulled). When engaged, it's just really loose and seems to drop due to gravity. A missing spring really makes sense, and I'm wondering if I take the door panels off if I will find it sitting inside the door.

The door itself is lined up just fine and closes easily. It also stays closed without a problem.

Most likely related, I cannot lock the door from the inside with the door open. The door needs to be shut, then locked. (Makes it impossible to lock my keys in the car, at least)

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 343
Question... When you push the button on the outside door handle to open the door, does that button retun / pop back out or remain pushed in ?

I would douse the latch with carb cleaner & see if that improves your mechanism. Look up inside the mechanism, the cosmoline might be hardened & not letting the unit function properly. If your unit is clean inside then the broken spring might be the culprit.

most likely you need to pull the latch out & completely degrease the item-- worst case scenario -- is the internal spring is broken & you will need a replacement latch.

when cleaned up-- this latch has many small functions for locking the door & such---

All I can say is after the bath -- the clicking action of the unit was much improved (very similar to the nos 67 unit)

I should still have a spare 69 drivers side already cleaned up-- pm if interested.
Lawrence

I would douse the latch with carb cleaner & see

Be careful carb, cleaner will eat some paints, WD 40 won’t.

Most likely related, I cannot lock the door from the inside with the door open. The door needs to be shut, then locked.

Normal... That is the way these door latches were designed, not capable of being locked without a key from the outside with door closed latched. So that portion of latch function is correct.
When the door is open, the part circled is the part that drops (only when the exterior button is pressed or interior handle pulled). When engaged, it's just really loose and seems to drop due to gravity

That lever should be spring loaded at all times. When either outside thumb push, or inside door handle is pulled a “safety” such as on a gun, is released so when a push from inside or pull from outside of door is applied that force over comes spring pressure, and that latch snaps up allowing door to open. The reverse happens when door is closed; latch snaps down via spring, and is held or locked in position until thumb push or inner door handle is pulled. Vertical locking rod also connected to key lock, blocks “safety” from being retracted.

If your latch is freely flopping, I suspect that spring has broken, come loose, or is jammed in some way that it can’t perform its function. You will need to remove the latch, paying careful attention to how the different rods connected to it are arranged, and connected. Clean latch, and simulate its function on the work bench mounted in a vice. Tip: I would mark each rod with masking tape to identify its female mate to make your life easier during testing, and reassembly... Just say’en LOL

-
Back