Door perfect alignment but sicking

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

My drivers side door is sticking so badly I'm scared I'm going to pull the handle off. The latch seems to be working. It is rubbing on top of the striker a bit but like I said the door's perfect..Any higher would be too high.

While you are out there, open the door about 1/2 way.

Try lifting it from the handle end to determine if there is any slop in the hinge pins.

Ah no...I couldn't find anything about that in the old manual. Going out to the garage again.
if lowering the striker does not work, you may have to order door hinge pin and bushing kit, open door, grab bottom of door and lift up and down if it moves up down your pins are worn.

if lowering the striker does not work, you may have to order door hinge pin and bushing kit, open door, grab bottom of door and lift up and down if it moves up down your pins are worn.

It's ok I found out what the problemoe is. Like a jenius I tried the interior door handle and it opened no sweat. So I'll take the door panel off and see what's up with the outside handle..The car has been sitting so long until now I had no idea one worked and the other didn't..But thanks for the replies because I'm sure breathing easier now it was driving nuts :BangHead:

I need a new latch mechanism.
unless linkage is broke may just need adjustment, this will change the throw from the button to the linkage loosen screw ajust rod you can feel it in the button, I had same problem made the adjustment, work perfect

IMG_0385.JPG

I tried it no go. The plunger rod just doesn't go down far enough. When I move things with my fingers just a bit more the lock opens. Things must be getting worn out and sloppy.

Problem solved. Took the plunging rod out put it in a vice to straighten it making it a little longer. Works like a charm now..Just a brain fart idea.

And just think....this couldda been a Chevy. We'll never know.

Problem solved. Took the plunging rod out put it in a vice to straighten it making it a little longer. Works like a charm now..Just a brain fart idea.
Glad to hear you got this figured out, Richie.
This is a common problem with out older Mopars because when the door is locked, the door handle button is solid.
A lot of people will push hard on the button because they don't realize that the door is locked and bend the link inside.
Of course as you know now, the fix is to take the link out and bend it back into position.
I knew what was wrong right away as soon as i read your post, but as usual, i'm a day late........

Glad to hear you got this figured out, Richie.
This is a common problem with out older Mopars because when the door is locked, the door handle button is solid.
A lot of people will push hard on the button because they don't realize that the door is locked and bend the link inside.
Of course as you know now, the fix is to take the link out and bend it back into position.
I knew what was wrong right away as soon as i read your post, but as usual, i'm a day late........
Ya it worked great but I went and broke a clip putting them back on...fortunately found some on ebay..Never dealt with anything that bruised my arm up that much or that caused me to cuss so much..I hate clips

-
Back