Door Reassembly, Vent Wing Adjusting Rod Retainer

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a retainer to keep the vent wing adjusting rod in place. There is a very sketchy representation of it in the FSM. I don't have any such thing in my bag-o-parts for either door from when I disassembled the whole thing. I don't even know what I'm looking for. Can someone show me what this retainer looks like, and better still, where I might be able to find one (or an acceptable substitute).

1000006531.jpg

1000006532.jpg

Never seen one. It might be a later year modification.

I have taken 3 vent window frames out of 2 67 darts no clips. Might have been some felt in there.

I'll look for a photo, sorry no photos.

My bet is it is more of an anti rattle clip.

Last edited:
What car
What year

Are we looking at here by the way

Picture above is just some felt 1/4 x 1/4 I had. Anything that snugs it up so it doesn't rattle and so it also holds the top of the vent frame in tight to the seal is all you need.

You could probably use a piece of silicon or plastic tubing to do the same thing.

I did not know anything was supposed to be there when I reassembled my first vent and I can't tell if there are any rattles ( being convert it's hard to hear anything)

My 67 just had felt, it is more an anti-rattle than a retainer. I see no need for a "retainer" here.

Alan

A foamy felt in there originally.... here's my Superbird coming apart. 57,000 mile car.. "foot" broken off" like many do.
superbirdcleanup20182019 1428.JPG

My 70 Darts just had a strip of closed cell foam like in as in post#9. I think they changed from the felt because the felt can absorb water and hold it next to the threaded part of the adjuster. make sure you use closed cell as opposed to open cell because open absorbs water just like the felt. All it does is provide enough friction to keep it in place during installation.

Many years FSM photos are taken from the previous years. My guess is if you ask the early A guys they will recognize the "retainer" shown in rbe 68 manual

This is from the 69 dart manual

Screenshot_20240124-204435.png

There is supposed to be a retainer to keep the vent wing adjusting rod in place

All it does is provide enough friction to keep it in place during installation

You know the word retainer suggests a mechanical fastener of some sort.

But if the "retainer" is only something to keep the pin in place during installation perhaps the image is misleading and the closed cell foam is the "retainer"

I noticed in some of the diagrams here it's called and anti-rattle strip (post 11)

Yep, I'm referring to the large uclip that slides onto the door.
I see the clip you're talking about in dadsbee's photo, but that's not what I was talking about. If you go back to my original post, I'm pointing the the position on the adjusting rod, and I referred to a page from the FSM that calls it a "retainer". I've come to the conclusion from the responses that there never should have been anything resembling a "retainer" on that rod and that the FSM is just mistaken. I will find a suitable foam material to stuff into that area as anti-rattle and be done with it.

If it's the foam you're looking for, I used leftover sillgasket for the 69.
I see the clip you're talking about in dadsbee's photo, but that's not what I was talking about. If you go back to my original post, I'm pointing the the position on the adjusting rod, and I referred to a page from the FSM that calls it a "retainer". I've come to the conclusion from the responses that there never should have been anything resembling a "retainer" on that rod and that the FSM is just mistaken. I will find a suitable foam material to stuff into that area as anti-rattle and be done with it.

Thanks for the offer. I've got a shop full of stuff that I've been saving just because I knew that "someday I will need this". :lol:

There's some Unubtainium right there... Genuine Mopar Flocked Mylar Window Channel!
I found a set for my car before they all disappeared off the planet. ;-)
I hear there are some decent reproductions out there now. That wasn't the case 6 or 7 years ago...
1708021868261.png

Yeah I don't like unobtainium it makes us have to improvise. OR it makes someone start doing repops!

-
Back